U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 06:53 AM

83 posts, read 649,012 times

Advertisements

Hello, I would like to purchase a self propelled lawnmower. Can you please give me your opinion on which one is the best to buy? I have approximately a half an acre that is sodded. Thanks for your help!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 09:02 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,228,716 times
My husband and I purchased a Honda from SAM's Club that has a nice self-propel feature. Holding the handle lets it push itself -- and it does a nice job of it -- or letting the handle out allows the operator to push it for himself. I like the feature.

Overall, I'd give the Honda mower an A+, and we have owned several mowers over the many years we have been homeowners, or renters, and been responsible for maintaining a lawn/yard. We got a great price on one of the higher-end Honda mowers at SAM's about three years ago. We are on a corner lot, about 1/3 of an acre, and during the summer months, we may mow as much as twice/weekly.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:39 AM

83 posts, read 649,012 times
Default Thanks for the help!!

Thank you for the suggestion on the lawnmower. Very good information! Thanks again!

Old 05-28-2008, 03:36 PM

733 posts, read 4,081,049 times
We bought a John Deere self propelled "walk behind" mower about 20 years ago. 4 cycle with a Japanese manufactured engine. In that time we've sharpened the blade, changed oil, replaced the spark plug, replaced the tires [yeah, they lose tread after all those trips around the yard!], and had to have a new rope installed on the recoil starter. It was expensive new but has proven to be a dependable workhorse.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:16 AM

340 posts, read 1,276,265 times
I have had very good luck with the Snapper Hi-Vac self propelled mower.It can come with various engine manufac.,so that is an option and also I like the idea of the vac especially when mowing over leaves.It will leave you with some nice mulch and the bag is easy to empty.I have owned it for 16 years with the Briggs engine and still no problems.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:51 PM

16,851 posts, read 51,316,975 times
bradshaw, there are a bunch of issues. First, you have to understand horsepower. (Sorry, but this is just too important to pass over)

The British Horsepower measurement is not the strength of a horse. It was designated in the age of the steam engines, and one BHP was the amount of work a horse could perform in an eight hour day compared to the work a steam engine could do... ...over a 24 hour period, since steam engines don't need to stop and sleep, and the steam engine folks wanted to impress the countryfolk. That means a 3 hp engine has the strength of a horse... well, sort of...

Much more recently, the hp rating was changed from measuring the continuous rating of an engine to rating the peak output. So... your relatively new 6 hp engine has the same overall power as... you fill in the blank.

Deceptive? Uhh, yeah. Just consider you need at least 6.5 hp to do the job.

Now, about those powered mowers. Go into the store and get a salesdroid, and flip the mower upside down. Bring out your 12 oz hammer and whang on the casing with all your might. If it bends, tell the droid "Sorry" and move on. Don't dare do that? kick it with your foot. If it bends, ask "What the .... are you trying to sell?"

The standard game is to shrink the gauge of metal as far as possible while still having the mower stand upright on the floor. It might not be a big deal, except the sand and dirt and grass clippings constantly erode the mower deck. I have a powered mower that totally eroded the metal between the front part of the mowing chamber and the front wheels and drive mechanism. I replaced that with a bandsawed 2 x 6" WOODEN board, and the board has lasted longer than the original deck. Steel - wood - steel - wood, which is stronger...?

Next, examine the drive mechanism. A front wheel drive has fewer parts than a rear wheel drive. In general, it'll last longer.

Next, plan on getting a mower with big rear wheels. Size does matter when you are pulling backward over uneven ground.

For some entertaining listening, listen to the web stockholder conference calls from Briggs and Stratton, who supplies most of the engines for lawnmowers.

My next lawnmower may very well be a goat.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:59 AM

956 posts, read 3,487,548 times
If you are looking for a 21 inch width cut, more or less, both Toro and Lawnboy make sturdy dependable mowers. If you're looking more to what commercial guys use, something in the 40 to 60 inch range, then ExMark or John Deere make very good machines.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:02 PM

172 posts, read 447,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw View Post
Hello, I would like to purchase a self propelled lawnmower. Can you please give me your opinion on which one is the best to buy? I have approximately a half an acre that is sodded. Thanks for your help!!
The walk behind mowers are commonplace and reliable. Top mfgs would be Honda(pricey), Toro, LawnBoy, Snapper, John Deere, Airens. If the 1/2 acre is level one of these should do the trick for you.

Check out a rural store that has grass nearby so you can try one before you buy. Maybe look at used/rebuilt ones to get a better feel for how they hold up. Most used mowers are worth nothing, but folks still want $200-250 for them???

My Toro is 6 years old and runs like new.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:49 AM

666 posts, read 2,203,282 times
I'd go with a Toro Self-Step ( i think thats what its called) ive had mine for 5 years and it runs great, the good thing about it is that the speed adjusts to how fast you walk so you don't have to worry about adjusting the speed and all that.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:44 PM

5 posts, read 5,219 times
Are any of these lightweight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden