Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 07:07 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,547,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
You know it’s bad when the boss says I’m overdue for vacation. On vacation now. In between storms I put together the riding mower lift I bought. Was happy it wasn’t a cable hoist type lift. The crank turns a screw to raise and lower the front or rear of the mower by the wheels. There are three lock points in the raised position. There are pull pins to fold the lift for storage. Just got through testing and it works well. Have blocks for the rear wheels for when I start work under the deck. Also have a Jack stand for added safety. Nylon straps hold the wheels to the lifting pads.
I have one of these. What do you use to remove the blades? I have considered buying a torque wrench. Also, how do you sharpen the blade(s)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 09:43 AM

17,613 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I have one of these. What do you use to remove the blades? I have considered buying a torque wrench. Also, how do you sharpen the blade(s)?
I did buy a torque wrench for final torque to install the blade. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Archer-Aust...ice/1003183770
I have this tool to help with blade removal and installing. Works well freeing up my other hand. Plan on practice sharpening with the old blade the way my dad taught me, using a hand file. Use the rough side to remove the rough edges and the fine side to smooth out the blade edge. Must check the balance after sharpening. This can be done using a blade balance tool or a nail on a wall or bench. Put the blade on the nail at the center hole and see if it maintains balance. If using the balance tool or nail and it doesn’t maintain balance then use the file to remove material on the side that is a little over weight. Another option is to take it to a lawnmower shop for sharpening. I plan on having two blades so at the end of the season I can simply replace the blade. Some people simply buy a new blade every year. Blade cost between $20 to $30 depending on brand and store.

Old 09-05-2022, 02:19 PM

17,613 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Well, it’s off to the hardware store again. The blade uses a 15/16 socket to install and remove. Got that size socket in 1/2 inch. Was hard to get the blade off. Installed new blade. Got the torque wrench ready and it uses a 3/4 inch head while the socket I used was a 1/2 inch head. Don’t have a 3/4 to 1/2 adaptor nor do I have a 25/16 socket with 3/4 socket head.

Old 09-10-2022, 09:45 PM

177 posts, read 134,402 times
How was sharpening with a file? I tried that once and got no where. I use an angle grinder and just give it a quick pass. I sharpen mine every use. My mower has three blades. I can remove, sharpen, and reinstall in about 10 minutes. Most of that time is getting out and putting away all the tools.

Old 09-17-2022, 05:07 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Well, it’s off to the hardware store again. The blade uses a 15/16 socket to install and remove. Got that size socket in 1/2 inch. Was hard to get the blade off. Installed new blade. Got the torque wrench ready and it uses a 3/4 inch head while the socket I used was a 1/2 inch head. Don’t have a 3/4 to 1/2 adaptor nor do I have a 25/16 socket with 3/4 socket head.
For larger sockets/ratchets/breaker bars, Harbor Freight is a decent choice. They have adapters too.

Now as far are sharpening goes, I use a bench grinder. Try to remove as little material as possible, and quench after every pass. A "fine" wheel works best on this application. (Wear/use eye protection, and tape your hands/fingers. NO GLOVES.)

Old 09-18-2022, 05:07 AM

83,509 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
For larger sockets/ratchets/breaker bars, Harbor Freight is a decent choice. They have adapters too.

Now as far are sharpening goes, I use a bench grinder. Try to remove as little material as possible, and quench after every pass. A "fine" wheel works best on this application. (Wear/use eye protection, and tape your hands/fingers. NO GLOVES.)

I bought a 3 piece adapter set from amazon for $5. Free shipping. Not sure if that's what the OP needs but I always check amazon first, some stores are more expensive because they have to pay their rent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden