Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 10:32 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times

Advertisements

Plants that I can't kill are a pink primrose, no matter how many time I pull the roots out, it's back next year.

Cleomi which I planted as seeds over 30 years ago, some how ended up in every garden I've had when I move. We just moved again, I dug out 3 roses, some how only two came with us, one has a cleomi plant that sprung up.

Rose campion reseeds if you don't cut them off.

Spider wart. Another plant I just can't seem to kill.

I have a purple baptista that also grows wild all over. I should say had at the house we just sold.

Black eyed Susan, another hardy plant.

Someone gave me a really pretty two tone violet many years ago, no matter how much I pulled them, they just kept coming back.

Those are plants I'd suggest you consider if they'd grow in your zone. I know there are a few more I had that over took grass and weeds. I won't garden in pots. Too much work watering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 02:46 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,382,387 times
Soil PH is important.

Consider raised beds.

Old 07-10-2022, 05:28 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
As long as you are not trying to grow flowers from seed use a pre-emergent to prevent weeds from sprouting.

Then plant flower starts. No need for plastic or landscape cloth (by the way weed seeds just blow in one top of them and you then have weeds AND the (supposed) barrier both to deal with).

Twice a year application should keep your flower beds weed free if applied correctly.

Old 07-10-2022, 06:12 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Plants that I can't kill are a pink primrose, no matter how many time I pull the roots out, it's back next year.

Cleomi which I planted as seeds over 30 years ago, some how ended up in every garden I've had when I move. We just moved again, I dug out 3 roses, some how only two came with us, one has a cleomi plant that sprung up.

Rose campion reseeds if you don't cut them off.

Spider wart. Another plant I just can't seem to kill.

I have a purple baptista that also grows wild all over. I should say had at the house we just sold.

Black eyed Susan, another hardy plant.

Someone gave me a really pretty two tone violet many years ago, no matter how much I pulled them, they just kept coming back.

Those are plants I'd suggest you consider if they'd grow in your zone. I know there are a few more I had that over took grass and weeds. I won't garden in pots. Too much work watering.
Thanks for the list! I'll compare them to my area. Black eyed Susans are great! But they pop up all over the yard and not always in the same place from year to year. If I like where they are I just keep them there but am always disappointed they aren't back in that spot the next year. I've had them pop up along my driveway bushes and right in front of my steps where they looked wonderful! This year they are in the grass in the side yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
As long as you are not trying to grow flowers from seed use a pre-emergent to prevent weeds from sprouting.

Then plant flower starts. No need for plastic or landscape cloth (by the way weed seeds just blow in one top of them and you then have weeds AND the (supposed) barrier both to deal with).

Twice a year application should keep your flower beds weed free if applied correctly.
That's a good idea and one I haven't done in a long time. I have to stay on top of that area else I have a million of those stupid mulberry trees trying to grow.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:47 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Thanks for the list! I'll compare them to my area. Black eyed Susans are great! But they pop up all over the yard and not always in the same place from year to year. If I like where they are I just keep them there but am always disappointed they aren't back in that spot the next year. I've had them pop up along my driveway bushes and right in front of my steps where they looked wonderful! This year they are in the grass in the side yard.

That's a good idea and one I haven't done in a long time. I have to stay on top of that area else I have a million of those stupid mulberry trees trying to grow.
Yeah, with me its spotted spurge, dandelion and nutsedge. grrrrr

Old 07-10-2022, 02:56 PM

1,861 posts, read 838,044 times
wild flowers

Old 07-10-2022, 03:12 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
wild flowers
I tried that in a different area a few years ago and they failed most epically. The few that did flower didn't start until late summer.

That said, any suggestions? I'd bought 2 of the bags of seeds and soil, just mix into dirt and water. I love the look.

Old 07-10-2022, 07:07 PM

22,151 posts, read 19,203,648 times
in the Pacific Northwest, where everything grows like crazy,
we would cover with plastic and then spread bark over it. If we want to plant bushes here and there, we would cut through the plastic in a small circle to dig a hole.

this worked well.

Old 07-10-2022, 07:43 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
wild flowers
That's my thought too. Turn it into an over crowded wild flowers patch. Disturb and rough up the soil and then throw down tons of wildflower seeds for all seasons and lightly cover the seeds with a very thin layer of soil or sand, sprinkle lightly daily with water so they will germinate easily. Some of them are bound to grow and you might even have some be robust enough to invade and choke out and displace the weedy plants you've been trying to get rid of. One of my favourite flowers for crowding out weedy plants is godetia.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:07 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

I'm not sure where I got the black eyed Susan I had, too bad I moved or I'd mail you some. It always stayed in the same garden, moved around due to runner roots that sprouted new shoots. I've had them since about 2000, so am not sure if you can still buy the same variety.

If you can find some purple baptista that may be a good one near you too. Ity sure was pretty, got pretty tall in my full sun gardens.

Columbine was another that I had with cleomi at my dad's gas station in the late 80's to early 90's that were still seeding my garden. I believe I brought seed with me. One of the elderly customers had given them to me from her garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That's my thought too. Turn it into an over crowded wild flowers patch. Disturb and rough up the soil and then throw down tons of wildflower seeds for all seasons and lightly cover the seeds with a very thin layer of soil or sand, sprinkle lightly daily with water so they will germinate easily. Some of them are bound to grow and you might even have some be robust enough to invade and choke out and displace the weedy plants you've been trying to get rid of. One of my favourite flowers for crowding out weedy plants is godetia.

I've never had luck with wild flower seeds.

I've had ok luck covering an area with newspaper and cardboard in February, as long as there is no snow, then by the time it's getting nice out, there shouldn't be anything coming up.

Make a few holes, throw my plants in that I had thinned out or dug up because it didn't fit where it was in another garden.

If any of those plants I mentioned grow in her zone, they may do the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden