U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 09:36 PM

8,193 posts, read 7,445,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
... besides planting grass I hope!
How about just throwing out wild flower seed mixes, hang up some bird feeders, a bird bath, and watch it grow?

Much nicer than TV, and your are doing something good for the native wildlife.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 09:44 PM

45,244 posts, read 29,960,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
How about just throwing out wild flower seed mixes, hang up some bird feeders, a bird bath, and watch it grow?

I redid an open area in our pavers like this. It's an 10 ft oval that is the septic access. I added mounds of dirt, seeded it with wildflowers, herbs, bulbs and rhubarb, put an outdoor mat over septic access, topped with a bird bath, shepherds hooked with bird feeders and solar lights. It crowded out most of the weeds to the point I can transplant the overflow to other beds. I also used rock features throughout.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets

Old 07-11-2022, 08:46 AM

5,512 posts, read 3,788,507 times
Quote:

See above, I've done wildflower seeds and they don't take well for some reason.

I have feeders, baths and bird/butterfly friendly plants closer to the deck. And have added to my list of those to see if they'll fit back there too.

Maybe I should propagate my butterfly bush which is way bigger than I thought it would be. Or add honeysuckle

Old 07-11-2022, 09:16 AM

9,147 posts, read 5,060,847 times
Quote:

I have feeders, baths and bird/butterfly friendly plants closer to the deck. And have added to my list of those to see if they'll fit back there too.

Maybe I should propagate my butterfly bush which is way bigger than I thought it would be. Or add honeysuckle
From what I’ve read, wildflower seeds can take 4-5 years to fully come in. I did it last year and it was pathetic, but year 2 and they are really starting to come in. I planted a second packet of seeds. I also planted a few other ground cover plants and am hoping that by next year it will be totally filled. You just have to be patient to them.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
From what I’ve read, wildflower seeds can take 4-5 years to fully come in. I did it last year and it was pathetic, but year 2 and they are really starting to come in. I planted a second packet of seeds. I also planted a few other ground cover plants and am hoping that by next year it will be totally filled. You just have to be patient to them.
That was my experience too. I bought a variety of perennials and scattered them out. They were from the Dollar Store (shade, sun, pollinator attractors, then a bunch of other single flower boxes), and they didn't do great and I thought "what can you expect from the Dollar Store?", and then this year? They exploded, flowers EVERYWHERE.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:02 AM

35,705 posts, read 41,868,734 times
Roundup!

Old 07-11-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I redid an open area in our pavers like this. It's an 10 ft oval that is the septic access. I added mounds of dirt, seeded it with wildflowers, herbs, bulbs and rhubarb, put an outdoor mat over septic access, topped with a bird bath, shepherds hooked with bird feeders and solar lights. It crowded out most of the weeds to the point I can transplant the overflow to other beds. I also used rock features throughout.
That sounds lovely.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Both are good ideas. The magic thing about bird feeders is how the ground below gets re-seeded and fertilized. If you are feeding a variety of bird species, the dropped seeds will eventually take root, and soon you will have a natural source of bird food and will no longer need the feeders.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Both are good ideas. The magic thing about bird feeders is how the ground below gets re-seeded and fertilized. If you are feeding a variety of bird species, the dropped seeds will eventually take root, and soon you will have a natural source of bird food and will no longer need the feeders.
Our birds gave us sunflowers last year, they were amazing.

Old 07-11-2022, 04:46 PM

5,512 posts, read 3,788,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That was my experience too. I bought a variety of perennials and scattered them out. They were from the Dollar Store (shade, sun, pollinator attractors, then a bunch of other single flower boxes), and they didn't do great and I thought "what can you expect from the Dollar Store?", and then this year? They exploded, flowers EVERYWHERE.
Lucky! I gave it two years and gave up. I had gotten my bags at Agway. Maybe I'll try again if we have a spring that starts when it's supposed to!

Quote:
I've gotten plenty of small sunflowers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden