U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 02:08 AM

388 posts, read 579,757 times

Advertisements

I started this after my mom passed because I realized I loved taking care of plants (was able to make her flowers last like a month). I tried indoor gardening before, but I had this tiny little hydroponics setup that was a bit too cheap (3 plants) and the pump stopped working after a while. But like I said the flowers inspired me to try again.

My setup's kind of DIY-ish, but it works. The support scaffolding is made out of tomato supports I got at a discount store around here for example.

And here's an overview.

The screw-in bulb I have is a 60W equivalent plant light, and it has 9 individual red LEDs and 2 blue ones. I don't have it on because my camera always gets oversaturated lol, as seen with this picture of that single basil I took a few days ago.

Here's a closeup of the rest of my basil. it's called Monet's Mix because the packaging says the mix was inspired by the artist.

And I got some carrots. Not sure if those would be great container plants though, I'm experimenting. And there's some peas as seen above as well. That small container is clover, not sure if it works but I use my blender to make homemade plant food with the seedlings.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 06:43 AM

3,886 posts, read 2,885,926 times
Well done! There are short, and even round, carrot varieties that do all right in containers.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:25 AM

7,574 posts, read 5,611,795 times
We are considering this right now, trying to decide if we can do it indoors or invest in a greenhouse outside.

Old 07-16-2022, 02:52 PM

3,770 posts, read 3,601,680 times
Hubby has been indoor gardening for about 10 years. Has quite a set-up in the basement, with lights, shelves, etc. Grows flowers and vegetables. Luckily for him, he loves radishes and they go from seed to harvest in about 30 days. But lettuce does great indoors, too. Mmm, fresh lettuce from the "garden" in January. I love going to the basement in the dead of winter and seeing flowers and plants and bright light. It is a real mood-lifter until spring comes and my tulips and daffodils and crocuses pop up. I planted some very short (8-10") sunflowers outside this summer, and he is planning to grow those sunflowers indoors next winter! Can't wait. He also takes cuttings of some of my outdoor annual plants and keeps them alive over the winter so I can plant them outside. One favorite (very easy to propagate) is rose geranium. It's lovely to get that rose scent just by touching the leaves. In winter!

Old 07-17-2022, 07:54 AM

5,103 posts, read 5,859,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconiator View Post
I tried indoor gardening before, but I had this tiny little hydroponics setup that was a bit too cheap (3 plants) and the pump stopped working after a while.
I've had an AeroGarden for the last year and a half. Last time, after I cleaned it to start a new batch - when I plugged it back in, it would not come on. I confirmed the power adapter was good, and then took it apart to see if there were any obvious defects, which there were not.

I am going to rewire it so the light is permanently on, then put it on a timer and do a similar set up to what you did.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:59 AM

3,938 posts, read 2,482,313 times
Has anyone done new starts from your old kitchen vegetables? I read about this recently and decided to try it.

So far I've got 4 romaine lettuces, 2 onions, one celery, and despite probably not going to get anything, I've planted some seeds from some farmer's market tomatoes that were just yummy.

PS I tried to paste a picture in here but obviously don't know what I'm doing because nothing happened.

Last edited by ndcairngorm; 07-27-2022 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: added PS

Old 07-27-2022, 08:10 AM

3,886 posts, read 2,885,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Has anyone done new starts from your old kitchen vegetables? I read about this recently and decided to try it.

So far I've got 4 romaine lettuces, 2 onions, one celery, and despite probably not going to get anything, I've planted some seeds from some farmer's market tomatoes that were just yummy.

PS I tried to paste a picture in here but obviously don't know what I'm doing because nothing happened.
Green onions seem foolproof. I've done celery and lettuces, mostly indoors and in the winter when I am crazy to see something grow. Just stick them in water, and they will all do something. Mine never took well to transplanting, apart from the green onions.

Old 07-31-2022, 11:23 PM

5,524 posts, read 3,281,042 times
I've done green onions, just plant them out and they do well all summer. Tomato slices are what you should plant, and indoors in spring, so that by now you'd have tomatoes. I have pineapple tops and I've rooted basil and rosemary from the organic section and both are doing fine. The rosemary is 3 now.

I'm all for indoor gardening, too. I'm envious of the basement where it's always summer. I don't know how much indoor room the OP has, but you can grow almost anything in a container.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:02 AM

3,938 posts, read 2,482,313 times
My little tomato seeds have sprouted. They're about an inch tall. Even if I don't get anything they will be fun to grow. My back sunny bay window seems to be a good place for everything.
'

Old 08-01-2022, 07:14 AM

2,311 posts, read 840,600 times
I've done green onions before. We always have green onions with our salad, so I just put the root ends in a glass of water. By the time it's time to make salad again, (the next week), they're long enough to use in the salad.

Now my husband makes the salad every week, and he's not into gardening like I am, so he just throws that stuff away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden