Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 12:32 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I've never watered my lawn. If you have to water your lawn, you have the wrong kind of grass.
Nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 12:36 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I water it when it's dry. Depends on the heat, humidity, and soil.

Old 07-21-2022, 04:06 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I've never watered my lawn. If you have to water your lawn, you have the wrong kind of grass.
Well, you know, I don't really think my neighbors are going to be very pleased if I put my small city lawn into prairie tallgrass.

Old 07-21-2022, 04:07 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Nonsense.
Well, in North Carolina, maybe that's possible.

Old 07-21-2022, 04:10 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Nonsense.

The Internet at its best

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
After weeks of little to no rain, it rained about 5-6” on Monday. Since then, we’ve had temperatures in the mid 90’s and we’re getting more hot weather throughout this upcoming weekend.
Your question isn't as simple as 1-2-3

The rain you got mostly washed away because it fell in short time and the ground was so dry and compacted. It wasn't over 1-3 days so the ground didn't absorb it too deep. But even still, figure you got 2-3" to absorb. That's enough to keep ground moist and give the plants a nice drink. Wind, humidity, temps, sun all factor in next. You can see how complicated we can make this.

I'm in same boat but not that much rain. Got over 2 inches couple days ago then 90s past 2 days. Did not water the lawn or the garden. My sprinklers only drop 0.10" of water every day which is enough to keep it green all summer. So why would I water after 2 inches of rain if Im only watering 0.10" a day?

This weekend I'll be watering because most of the 2" will have evaporated.

Old 07-21-2022, 04:18 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
The Internet at its best

Your question isn't as simple as 1-2-3

The rain you got mostly washed away because it fell in short time and the ground was so dry and compacted. It wasn't over 1-3 days so the ground didn't absorb it too deep. But even still, figure you got 2-3" to absorb. That's enough to keep ground moist and give the plants a nice drink. Wind, humidity, temps, sun all factor in next. You can see how complicated we can make this.

I'm in same boat but not that much rain. Got over 2 inches couple days ago then 90s past 2 days. Did not water the lawn or the garden. My sprinklers only drop 0.10" of water every day which is enough to keep it green all summer. So why would I water after 2 inches of rain if Im only watering 0.10" a day?

This weekend I'll be watering because most of the 2" will have evaporated.

This makes sense. I didn’t water today either because I was waiting for some rain that never came. I will most likely water tomorrow morning.

Old 07-21-2022, 05:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
After weeks of little to no rain, it rained about 5-6” on Monday. Since then, we’ve had temperatures in the mid 90’s and we’re getting more hot weather throughout this upcoming weekend. On Wednesday I saw a lot of people in my neighborhood watering their lawns, which I found strange on light of the heavy rain just two days prior. I stuck a screwdriver in the soil and it went through easy, so I figured it was still moist enough to not need to water so soon. A Google search results in conflicting information on the subject. What would you guys do?
After weeks of little to no rain a heavy rain in one day is no guarantee of water soaking deep into the soil. A heavy rain can result in a lot of run-off with more water going into gutters and down city drains than what gets absorbed into the ground. The drier the soil is to start with the more it repels water and the more difficult it is for the soil to absorb new water ..... even in a heavy rainfall which is really little more than a primer. Soil ideally needs to be a little bit damp to start with just to allow more water to be absorbed into it, so the rain you got on Monday served as a dampening primer for your neighbours who were watering the lawns on Wenesday. They actually did the right thing.

What I do depends on what kind of soil it is. I go around with my moisture meter sticking the sharp end of it into the ground in different spots here and there to get readings of how much moisture is in the soil and how deep down it goes. If the meter comes out registering dry 2 inches or more below the surface I water whatever I'm metering.

Moisture meters are inexpensive and absolutely essential in my estimation, especially if you happen to have water conservation restrictions in place in your city.

Examples: https://www.amazon.ca/moisture-meter...ter+for+plants

Edited to add: Just saw Cambium's post. Excellent advice!

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-21-2022 at 05:30 PM..

Old 07-21-2022, 08:58 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
I had been watering regularly prior to the heavy rainfall so my soil should have never been that dry. My lawn wasn’t perfectly green, but better than most. I’ll look into that moisture meter

Old 07-21-2022, 09:46 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
It depends on your climate and how green you want your grass to be. We get around 40" of rain a year in Indianapolis, so I don't water the lawn. Even if it gets brown, it'll come back. But in Denver (where I used to live), you needed to water twice a week to have a lawn. If you didn't water, your lawn would die.

Old 07-22-2022, 12:11 AM

3 posts, read 1,154 times
After a heavy rain I usually wait for at least 48 hours till grass not get dried and no need to begin watering again until the top two inches of soil are dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden