U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 03:41 AM

3,627 posts, read 3,491,294 times

Advertisements

Barely any rain for weeks. Well under an inch when it did rain. Hoping for more. Poor trees are losing their leaves. Everything looks stressed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 04:47 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,510,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
I water my plants for about 30 minutes at a time, which I believe equates to about 1" of water. I don't water more because the plants don't seem to absorb more, the excess water just evaporates from the soil or drains away. I don't have any annuals though, I only plant hardy perennials.

Are you hose watering?

I hook a hose on a chair and let it water, but I do only 5-10 minutes at a time, 3 -4 times a week.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:20 AM

13,239 posts, read 11,780,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
Are you hose watering?

I hook a hose on a chair and let it water, but I do only 5-10 minutes at a time, 3 -4 times a week.
I guess your regulations and laws in your town and state must be a lot different from what the water conservation regulations are where I live.

If I am hose watering garden beds and containers during our summer climate conditions it's required by our residential watering regulations that the hose be in my possession with my hand holding the trigger in the on position and being under my control at all times that the water is flowing. If I was to hook a hose onto something and let the water run free without my hand on it, even if the intent is to do that for only 5 minutes, I could be reported for it by other law abiding neighbours and get a really hefty fine for doing that. One photo is all it would take and would be worth a thousand complaints.

Old 07-29-2022, 01:01 PM

5,851 posts, read 12,942,132 times
Quote:
In NJ we haven't had rain in forever. I water 2 hours in the morning, 3-4 times a week. I start at 5:30 am.
Why not make it automatic every day in another place and very late at night? Would that not be less evaporation?
When you say 05:30 in the morning, I assume that is on a timer?

I have given up on watering our lawn(s) {side and back} years ago.
Now only the front yard, where once and a while we sit in the shade.
With the present heat, the last two months, we have seldom done that anymore...

So one day, one area, for two hours (for a good soak).
I have four areas. I only water Monday thru Thursday.
Each area gets 2 hours of water per week.
No watering on weekends.
Gives us a dry lawn for Saturday and Sunday... which gives us a nice outside stay on our lawn under the shade of huge trees... I have set up a misting setup (used only when we are outside) which keeps us cool in this recent heat.

We are lucky for a nice located position of the house.
Our front lawn does not look lush green, but at least it is not brown-dead...
The State has asked us to conserve as much water as we can.
Attached Thumbnails
How is your rain/watering situation?-shadearea_tn.jpg  

Old 07-30-2022, 01:25 PM

3,771 posts, read 3,623,188 times
I'm in Southern NJ. Our last big rain was June 2. This past week, we got a whole 1/8 of an inch. Needless to say, I am spending A LOT of time watering. No choice. It's either that, or watch them die. I do use a hose and my plants are doing just fine.

Old 07-30-2022, 01:44 PM

7,396 posts, read 3,643,456 times
Quote:
In NJ we haven't had rain in forever. I water 2 hours in the morning, 3-4 times a week. I start at 5:30 am. I have annuals and perenniels. I've decided to concentrate on the newish perenniels. I water all the perenniels about once a week, but the newish ones (one or two years old) 2 -3 times a week. Very very deep. I put the hose nozzle on the earth, and let the water drip in right where the roots are. I Used to do that for 5 minutes at a spot, now I do it for 10 minutes. My annuals which are zinnias I also do 2-3 times a week for the special ones that I really like, the others, less so.

It takes me two hours because I move the nozzle from one location to another. I have 2 plots in a community garden, each one 25 feet by 25 feet.

I watch people water from a hose, which loses 70% of the water output to evaporation. And since they do it for 15 minutes, little of the water gets in to the earth.

I was thinking of getting a soaker hose, but the I read that it takes 200 minutes for a soaker hose to provide one inch of water. That would not help in this situation. As one inch hardly is anything under the curent situation.

We need several days of soaking rain, and I don't see that in the near future.
If anyone, in SoCal were to "water for 2 hours" ever, they'd be jailed by the weekend. Not kidding, here. We get charged by the drop.

Old 07-30-2022, 05:14 PM

13,239 posts, read 11,780,168 times
Quote:

I am in Middlesex County. Our grass is burned up.
Your Middlesex county is in a drought at present and abiding by water conservation regulations has been asked of residents by your Governor as well as the NJ American Water company. Here is the full news article from this week with further information together with the current alternating watering conservation guidelines/regulations for Middlesex county.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/newbrun...can-water-asks

Quote:
Here are the guidelines posted on NJ American Water's website:

Outdoor water use on odd-numbered days of the month if your street address is an odd number (i.e., 23 Oak St., 7 Maple Ave.)

Outdoor water use on even-numbered days of the month if your street address is an even number (i.e., 6 Oak St., 354 Maple Ave.)

Water early or late in the day to minimize evaporation

Exceptions are:

Watering of new sod or seed if daily watering is required (Note: it is recommended that any planting of new sod or seed that has not already taken place be delayed until the fall)

Use of private wells for irrigation

Commercial uses of outdoor water, such as for nurseries, farm stands, power washing, plumbing, athletic fields, and car washes

Watering of athletic fields

NJ American Water asked Burlington and Ocean County customers to conserve water on July 15, as well.

Old 07-30-2022, 11:20 PM
JRR

6,935 posts, read 4,347,442 times
After a very dry second half of June and first half of July, we finally are getting some on and off rain showers. Everything has gone from brown to a nice green in a pretty short time.

Old 07-31-2022, 09:27 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,470,234 times
I got another 2" of slow drenching rain yesterday. Today I will only get a trace and then it heats up again next week.

Old 07-31-2022, 10:08 AM

7,673 posts, read 5,686,339 times
I'm in the hot humid south, it's been in the 90's awhile but I haven't had to do any major watering in weeks. If something looks like it's drying out, I use the old hose and thumb method, but really not too long, a minute seems plenty.

We've had very little rain until a nice drenching last night. Every other predicted rain storm has seemed to pass us by.

I've got perennials, annuals, vegetables, flowering trees and bushes and our lawn is still nice and green. Wondering if the humidity helps along with the soil and maybe the plants become very hardy. I honestly don't know, but happy I don't have to water much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden