U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 06:55 AM

3,886 posts, read 2,885,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I grow lilies, chrysanthemums, heucheras/coral bells, coleus, caladiums (LOTS of caladiums, my other gardening passion LOL), scented geraniums, Mexican shell flowers and even hostas in pots. The hostas are getting too big for their pot and will need to be divided soon. I have lousy luck trying to grow tulips in pots. I think they need more protection from the winter freeze (or freeze-thaw-freeze) than a pot provides. Last year, I tried planting them in a very large pot, well away from the side walls of the pot, and they still didn't come up. But the one I planted in a miserable patch of dirt came up just fine. They do OK in my raised beds, though.
Wish I had known this. The hostas an evil landscaper stuck in our foundation beds turned into monsters that had to be killed with fire. We could never grow coral bells in the ground, and our mums do poorly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 11:47 AM

3,886 posts, read 2,885,926 times
By the way, LoriNJ, what zone are you in? We get winter here. Would plants in pots survive?

Old 08-06-2022, 07:35 AM

5,482 posts, read 3,745,626 times
I put my first Stella's in pots and in a few years had enough to share. I'm in Zone 6. Can't remember if I put them in the garage for winter though. I tend to use terracotta pots and they really get damaged by enough freeze/thaw cycles.

Oh, the pots I used were small too. I'm sure they'd do much better in larger pots.

That said, I lost strawberries in large pots when people insisted they were indestructible.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:47 PM

5,139 posts, read 4,637,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Fortunately, I don't have any ground hogs here. Just gophers that have killed all of my rose bushes and a couple of fruit trees by eating all the roots.

I've got my eye on Great White Dove, but I haven't yet found anyone who sells it. I expect it to be expensive when I find it. I'd be a lot happier about paying if I knew I could keep it alive.

OK, good information. I need to look for varieties that are labeled "dormant". I just learned something.

I'll look at Oakes.

Thank you.
I got Great White Dove this past spring from Floyd Cove Daylilies. They send marvelous huge plants.

Old 08-09-2022, 07:45 PM

30,178 posts, read 41,230,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I got Great White Dove this past spring from Floyd Cove Daylilies. They send marvelous huge plants.

I'll try again in the spring. It's sold out this year.

Thanks.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:50 PM

3,771 posts, read 3,601,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
By the way, LoriNJ, what zone are you in? We get winter here. Would plants in pots survive?

I am in Zone 7a and we get plenty of winter here, with snowstorms and periods of very cold temps (20s or 10s), although I think our winter average temp is in the 30s during the coldest months. My potted plants all survive. I use the sturdiest pots I can find (plastic/resin materials, never terra cotta or ceramic) and look for thicker walls so that they don't crack from the freeze/thaw cycle. I was a little worried about all my coral bells last winter, as we had a deep cold snap. But they all came back big and healthy. So did my lilies, which kind of surprised me. And as you know, you can't kill a hosta.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:52 PM

3,771 posts, read 3,601,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Wish I had known this. The hostas an evil landscaper stuck in our foundation beds turned into monsters that had to be killed with fire. We could never grow coral bells in the ground, and our mums do poorly.

Yes, putting the hostas in pots limits them from becoming monsters. You can always divide them if they get too big for the pot. I keep mine in a shady place and they look so nice, but they are well-behaved. LOL I have been surprised at how well the coral bells do in pots. I am forever dividing them and at this point, I actually have too many. LOL But that didn't stop me from buying 2 more of a different variety recently.

Old 08-17-2022, 03:46 PM

626 posts, read 549,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If op is in a hot climate, keeping pots of anything wet is a losing battle.

Unless the pot is a Self-Watering Pot.
However, pots get colder in winter, & hotter in summer, which may or may not kill the plant/s in them.

Old 08-18-2022, 11:15 AM

30,178 posts, read 41,230,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
Unless the pot is a Self-Watering Pot.
However, pots get colder in winter, & hotter in summer, which may or may not kill the plant/s in them.

The point of potting plants in a cold climate is that the entire plant and its pot can be moved into a sheltered area in the winter instead of hoping the plant can handle the weather outdoors and unsheltered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden