U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 09:38 AM

30,177 posts, read 41,241,071 times

Advertisements

Can Daylilies be grown in pots?

I've got ordinary ones in the ground and they seem happy, but I'd like some fancy ones and the ones I like seem to like run $30-$50 each. I'm wondering if I could have more control over them in pots instead of plopping them down in the ground at the mercy of the snow and gophers.

If they don't make it, that's a lot of money to lose for a tiny little bulb to grow one little tiny plant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 09:44 AM

5,139 posts, read 4,638,232 times
Absolutely. I put them in cloth pots for years. Easier for me to handle and move around. I have about 50 of them right now. A lot of the fancy ones get cheaper in a year or two.

Old 07-30-2022, 12:01 PM

1,814 posts, read 703,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Can Daylilies be grown in pots?

I've got ordinary ones in the ground and they seem happy, but I'd like some fancy ones and the ones I like seem to like run $30-$50 each. I'm wondering if I could have more control over them in pots instead of plopping them down in the ground at the mercy of the snow and gophers.

If they don't make it, that's a lot of money to lose for a tiny little bulb to grow one little tiny plant.
Potted plant is a dead plant.

It is hard to kill the dailies in the ground; occasionally they may revert to their wild orange flowered parents though.

Just plant them in the ground - they/you would be better off.
To cut costs - buy off-season - not plants but the bulbs on sale

Old 07-30-2022, 01:20 PM

3,771 posts, read 3,602,434 times
I have about a bazillion daylilies, mostly in the ground. Well, actually raised beds, but not planters. But I also have 6 planters with some more expensive varieties in them (1 variety per planter). The key is to use a pretty large planter (mine are about 14" square) and to separate the plants when they multiply too much. That's how I get more and more daylilies. Also, in planters you will likely have to water them more often. But it's so dry here this summer that I'm watering everything all the time anyway. Bottom line: Yes, they can do just fine in planters. If you haven't bought daylilies from Oakes Daylilies, I cannot recommend them highly enough. Large, healthy plants and they ALWAYS send at least one bonus plant. Even when I only ordered 2 plants, I got a bonus. https://oakesdaylilies.com/ I recently, against my better judgment, ordered a daylily (I can't stop! ) from another seller and was so disappointed at how puny it was.

Any questions, I'm always happy to talk daylilies!

P.S. Varieties designated "dormant" do just fine in the snow. I also have some that are semi-evergreen that also do well in the snow. Groundhogs don't eat mine, if that's what you meant when you said gophers.

Old 07-30-2022, 02:25 PM

30,177 posts, read 41,241,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
.......... Groundhogs don't eat mine, if that's what you meant when you said gophers.

Fortunately, I don't have any ground hogs here. Just gophers that have killed all of my rose bushes and a couple of fruit trees by eating all the roots.

I've got my eye on Great White Dove, but I haven't yet found anyone who sells it. I expect it to be expensive when I find it. I'd be a lot happier about paying if I knew I could keep it alive.

OK, good information. I need to look for varieties that are labeled "dormant". I just learned something.

I'll look at Oakes.

Thank you.

Old 07-30-2022, 03:57 PM
Status: "No, I don’t want an app for that." (set 27 days ago)

45,406 posts, read 56,718,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Potted plant is a dead plant.

It is hard to kill the dailies in the ground; occasionally they may revert to their wild orange flowered parents though.

Just plant them in the ground - they/you would be better off.
To cut costs - buy off-season - not plants but the bulbs on sale
So true! I’m amazed that the carefully chosen, evergreen, repeat bloomers I planted have reverted to yellow and orange. Revert as they may, the ones that do, thrive on neglect. Mine are on the south side of my house, in hot Georgia and don’t get pampered at all.

If op is in a hot climate, keeping pots of anything wet is a losing battle.

Old 07-30-2022, 04:35 PM

3,829 posts, read 3,345,317 times
I have been disappointed with growing most plants in pots. I have tried Dahlias, hyacinths, gladiolus, lilies...none do as well for me in pots (and I have some darn big pots!!!) as they do in the ground. This year it was Cosmos. What a disaster. And they grow like weeds in the ground.

As long as I stick with creeping Jenny and sweet potato vines I am OK but I have just about given up on everything else.
Well, maybe a Mandevilla in the front yard

Old 07-30-2022, 08:22 PM

I grow lilies, chrysanthemums, heucheras/coral bells, coleus, caladiums (LOTS of caladiums, my other gardening passion LOL), scented geraniums, Mexican shell flowers and even hostas in pots. The hostas are getting too big for their pot and will need to be divided soon. I have lousy luck trying to grow tulips in pots. I think they need more protection from the winter freeze (or freeze-thaw-freeze) than a pot provides. Last year, I tried planting them in a very large pot, well away from the side walls of the pot, and they still didn't come up. But the one I planted in a miserable patch of dirt came up just fine. They do OK in my raised beds, though.

Old 07-31-2022, 04:37 PM

35,597 posts, read 41,710,021 times
Potted plants require a helluva lot more care than a plant in the ground. I keep my potted plants to a minimum, and certainly would not keep any expensive bulbs in a pot.

Old 08-03-2022, 03:46 PM

Not true for me. I do far less weeding in my container plants and less critters get to them. And certain bulbs do great in a container. You just have to know what will do well in your area. I have a mixture of in-ground and containers and love both. YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden