Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2022, 05:01 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

My blueberries are just coming ripe. Each variety ripens a different time and each has a different flavor.

My clear winner for flavor, size, and texture is Legacy. Earliblue is pretty darn good, too, a little smaller berry, good flavor.

Growing conditions, North Idaho, cold winters and we had a lot of rain this spring and it didn't warm up much in spring. The last month or so it has been really hot, and heat produces sugar in fruit. But Legacy was my winner last year, too.

If you have growing conditions similar to mine, I recommend Legacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 06:48 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My blueberries are just coming ripe. Each variety ripens a different time and each has a different flavor.

My clear winner for flavor, size, and texture is Legacy. Earliblue is pretty darn good, too, a little smaller berry, good flavor.

Growing conditions, North Idaho, cold winters and we had a lot of rain this spring and it didn't warm up much in spring. The last month or so it has been really hot, and heat produces sugar in fruit. But Legacy was my winner last year, too.

If you have growing conditions similar to mine, I recommend Legacy.
Thank you. You did a great service by your post. I will admit this and I am embarrassed too, but, it never occurred to me that there were varieties of blue berries. I don't grow them and of course every other fruit comes in different varieties, but I guess I never took note of the different ones. In thinking about it, I never gave it a second thought on any kind of berry. Ya see you can teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks.

P.S. Just googles strawberries and am astounded at the number of different varieties. DUH!! Thanks again.

Old 08-22-2022, 04:24 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
It makes a huge difference what your growing conditions are. Some varieties do better in warmer climates and some do better in colder climates. That is both for the blueberries and the strawberries.

If you want to grow your own, the first thing to do is to find out which varieties do best under your local growing conditions.

And like just about every other kind of fruit, the best varieties don't ship well so you can get much better fruit growing your own at home. You can't buy the best ones in the store because they don't survive all the shipping and handling necessary to go from field to grocery store.

Old 08-22-2022, 04:53 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
And they do not like wet feet....as in heavy clay soil.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:24 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Here in SE Alaska the small, wild blueberries are the only ones ripening early enough to guarantee a viable crop.

At least, so far that's been my experience. In an exceptionally good year weatherwise (not so typically wet and cool) some commerical varieties could enjoy success.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:28 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Here in SE Alaska the small, wild blueberries are the only ones ripening early enough to guarantee a viable crop.

At least, so far that's been my experience. In an exceptionally good year weatherwise (not so typically wet and cool) some commerical varieties could enjoy success.
I read, that the wild blueberries have several times more nutrients (higher concentration) than the others. Same with heirloom varieties of vegetables: the purple carrots, and those funny-looking heirloom tomatoes. I wonder if it's possible to buy seeds for the wild blueberries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden