Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2022, 04:02 PM

2,459 posts, read 2,477,919 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with this plant? I've had some magically appear in an unmaintained area of my yard. Most of the area is now covered by four-o'clocks. I have a bare spot on the west side of my house that needs some ground cover and am wondering if the sea oats would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 02:04 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Sure, go ahead and try them but you might need to get a positive ID on them (do you want 8 feet tall grass growing at the side of your house?), and you might find the root systems on them can get invasive if you don't keep an eye on them. Do you know for sure that they are sea oats and not wood oats? They are so closely related and similar in appearance, edibility and other properties it's often difficult for some people to tell them apart.

The biggest difference between them is that sea oats mainly grow around beaches and sandy river banks and can grow up to 8 feet tall and wood oats mainly grow in rich pasture or woody inland areas and can grow up to 5 feet tall. I see both types growing near my location both in the wild and planted in people's gardens. The sea oats do get a lot taller than the wood oats. Both types like plenty of sunshine.

To help you determine what you already have and which type you think would be best for your location you should find these two articles/tutorials to be quite helpful information, including the Q&A sections at the end of each article.

Here is for wood oats: https://www.eattheweeds.com/chasmant...e-wood-oats-2/

Here is for sea oats: https://www.eattheweeds.com/uniola-p...ur-sea-oats-2/

Old 09-08-2022, 09:42 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
I've got sea oats growing in my backyard. They are incredibly hardy and spread into my yard from the beach with underground runners. The further from the beach they get, the less vigorous they grow. Love the look of them in my all-natural yard among the gaillardias and dune sunflowers. Zero maintenance required.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:08 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Sure, go ahead and try them but you might need to get a positive ID on them (do you want 8 feet tall grass growing at the side of your house?), and you might find the root systems on them can get invasive if you don't keep an eye on them. Do you know for sure that they are sea oats and not wood oats? They are so closely related and similar in appearance, edibility and other properties it's often difficult for some people to tell them apart.

The biggest difference between them is that sea oats mainly grow around beaches and sandy river banks and can grow up to 8 feet tall and wood oats mainly grow in rich pasture or woody inland areas and can grow up to 5 feet tall. I see both types growing near my location both in the wild and planted in people's gardens. The sea oats do get a lot taller than the wood oats. Both types like plenty of sunshine.

To help you determine what you already have and which type you think would be best for your location you should find these two articles/tutorials to be quite helpful information, including the Q&A sections at the end of each article.

Here is for wood oats: https://www.eattheweeds.com/chasmant...e-wood-oats-2/

Here is for sea oats: https://www.eattheweeds.com/uniola-p...ur-sea-oats-2/

You are always so helpful, Zoisite.

I have a variety called Inland Sea Oats. That is is all I know about them other than they are pretty drought tolerant, make pretty seed heads late in the season, and seem to spread pretty quickly. They are native to my area. I purchased 6 one gallons pots of them about 2-3 years ago and planted them in a large bed at the top of my back drive. They have completely filled in the area and spread beyond. The one thing I dislike about them is that their stalks are weak. A little direct water from the garden hose knocks them over, and once knocked over, nothing I can do will convince them to stand up again, so they look like a huge ball of weeds in that position. I decided to take them out this season, but it turned out that I will be relocating soon, so I plan to leave them in place. I hope whoever ends up here after me is kind to them. I paid around $12 a gallon for them.

This is what mine look like:

https://nativebackyards.com/inland-sea-oats/

Last edited by PhinneyWalker; 09-28-2022 at 06:16 PM..

Old 09-28-2022, 07:56 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
You are always so helpful, Zoisite.

I have a variety called Inland Sea Oats. That is is all I know about them other than they are pretty drought tolerant, make pretty seed heads late in the season, and seem to spread pretty quickly. They are native to my area. I purchased 6 one gallons pots of them about 2-3 years ago and planted them in a large bed at the top of my back drive. They have completely filled in the area and spread beyond. The one thing I dislike about them is that their stalks are weak. A little direct water from the garden hose knocks them over, and once knocked over, nothing I can do will convince them to stand up again, so they look like a huge ball of weeds in that position. I decided to take them out this season, but it turned out that I will be relocating soon, so I plan to leave them in place. I hope whoever ends up here after me is kind to them. I paid around $12 a gallon for them.

This is what mine look like:

https://nativebackyards.com/inland-sea-oats/
Thanks Phinney, I try to be helpful even though I know I tend to get long-winded.

Yes, the inland sea-oats (Chasmanthium latifolium) that you have is what is otherwise known as wood oats.
https://www.eattheweeds.com/chasmant...e-wood-oats-2/

Old 09-28-2022, 08:12 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Thanks Phinney, I try to be helpful even though I know I tend to get long-winded.

Yes, the inland sea-oats (Chasmanthium latifolium) that you have is what is otherwise known as wood oats.
https://www.eattheweeds.com/chasmant...e-wood-oats-2/

Not a bit of it!

I would plant the Wood Oats again, but this time I would confine them to a smaller area and keep them confined. Just 3-4 of them in a corner looks nice, and if you do not water them from above and make sure not bend their stalks, they look quite lovely and relaxing. The huge bed I have of them right now is just too much. That many of them, with many of them fallen over, makes them look like a mess. Just a few plants strategically placed, however, me thinks makes a nice accent in the garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden