Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 05:18 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times

Advertisements

I am a professional mower and I will not mow while it is raining, besides the clumping (which does happen on early morning dew cuts like yesterday for me) the tires will destroy a lawn much worse then dry conditions. I also do get paid for not mowing since 80% of my commercial accounts are monthly contracts, including snow. I’d be out of business years ago only working per time contracts.

To OP the grass clumps up too much under the deck and will stop the blade on smaller mowers. It’ll also do it on my 29hp 52 inch deck if enough gets in there and not in closed off mulching. Don’t ever have mulching attachment on whenever needing to cut a wet lawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 07:43 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
It puts a load on the engine and bogs it out.

Generally you do not want to cut wet grass. Wait til it dries out and cut it

Old 09-08-2022, 09:07 AM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Are you talking sopping wet grass or damp grass? I am not going to attempt to mow after a rainstorm, but at certain times of the year there isn't a chance for the grass to dry before it rains again, so it's necessary to mow damp grass.

A sharp blade works best for it. That goes for when it's dry, too, but especially when damp. Don't try to bag. Expect to have to stop frequently to clear the chute. Watch to see how much grass is being discharged. No discharge means you need to clear it. Listen to the motor. Even with ear protection on you should be able to hear if it's struggling. I am mowing a couple acres with a walk behind mower where I can't use the tractor. I swear it's all I do from spring until the grass goes brown mid summer.

Old 09-08-2022, 02:25 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipastore View Post
How do you guys deal with the wet grass in your yard?
I don’t cut grass when it’s wet. Basic lawnmower knowledge.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:34 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
"Why does your lawnmower shut off in wet grass?"

Answer: Simple. You're not supposed to try to CUT wet grass.

/thread

Old 09-09-2022, 12:10 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Wet grass builds up around the blade shaft and rotor causing it to jam and quit. Follow others advice, wait til it dries.

Old 09-09-2022, 03:24 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Same reason a cieling fan stops when you grab it, and the same reason cutting too high a grass will stall a mower. The blade is connected directly to the crankshaft, wet and tall grass is high resistance to low power home use push mowers, and the ignition system relies on it running at operating speed. Wet grass is not good for blade, either. It's not that complicated.

Old 09-09-2022, 03:36 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I watch the professional lawn care services mow in the rain, as well as mowing at 7:00 am when the grass is sopping wet with dew. They don't bag in the rain, but I've watched them bag a dewy lawn. And I'm talking about regular old 22" walk behind mowers that homeowners would use. My Toro would shut down every 10'.
Real professional lawn service crews would have commercial pushmowers with more than 6.5hp. And the one I worked for, I only seen it used once, we usually just used walk-behinds where the zero-turns couldn't fit- narrow deck ones, anyway, since most of them had 60" decks. And in the rain it'd be an Ops Ban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden