Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 09:51 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I call my style "The inattentive gardener." The best solution I ever found to those nasty squash bugs was planting a cultivar that the garden ants loved to patrol. I have no clue what, if anything, they got from hanging out on that plant, but no pests attacked it. I suspect any that tried ran into angry ants! Still got big pumpkins from it too.
What cultivar was that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2022, 10:00 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Anywhere they sell live bait. Walmart is one; gasoline stations are another.
When I first moved to a rural area, they sold live worms where I bought my hand-dipped ice cream cones.

Old 10-04-2022, 11:58 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,330,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
When I first moved to a rural area, they sold live worms where I bought my hand-dipped ice cream cones.
I do not think I would buy my ice cream cones there.....

Old 10-04-2022, 01:49 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,857,477 times
I am only here to say I love earthworms! And we haven't had many at all this year because it was a very low rain year for us here. And of course, the Robins went elsewhere....

Old 10-04-2022, 10:16 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Here's an intriguing approach, especially if you don't have enough room for a real composting operation - https://www.epicgardening.com/worm-tower/

Old 10-05-2022, 02:12 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Not a lot to add after Westsideboy's elegant posts above--

Nightcrawlers are not a native species to North America, but they're not considered an invasive species. I have to wonder-- the rule is no two species can occupy the same niche in the biome. They must be outcompeting a native.....

....Their benefit is two fold-- They eat organic material and turn it quickly into humus...Organic stuff in one end, humus out the other--- but that's going to happen anyway, just at a little slower rate when left up to the fungi & bacteria in the soil....The second benefit is they burrow, leaving air filled tracts, reversing compaction of the soil. That's a good thing, but much more effectively accomplished by mixing in peat moss, horse manure or just leaving last years spent vegetation (like fallen leaves) in place.

...and, as noted above, the rich get richer--Nightcrawlers aren't going to hang around where isn't already pretty good soil....Bottom line-- nightcrawlers aren't what they're cracked up to be.

And BTW- cutting a worm in two with a spade doesn't kill the worm. It propagates them. Segmented worms ae pretty good at regeneration....On the other hand, you should be using a fork to turn over soil, not a shovel.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:34 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
What cultivar was that?
https://www.rareseeds.com/musquee-de-provence-pumpkin

Musquee de Provence. They are good eating pumpkins, ideal for frying up slices, although I prefer Kabochas or similar types because of the sweet potato-like grain of the flesh. The Musquee is a touch stringier, but still really good. The fruit lasts all winter and into the spring too in a cellar or basement.

But to the point, the ants were all over the vine. I have never seen this with my other squash/pumpkin plants. The vine is huge and the ants used it as a highway around the garden area. No squash bugs on it or eggs. I can't be 100% sure it was the ants, but the other cultivars I planted next to them had bad squash bug problems, really a struggle to keep the vine alive long enough to grow the fruit. They had no ants on them.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:35 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
Thank you. I am going to need luck and a few dozen angels watching over the garden and I!
You grow the garden.

The angels will come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden