Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2022, 08:15 PM
 
2,221 posts, read 1,342,323 times
Reputation: 3415

Advertisements

Who is/are your garden guru(s), or do you have any? I really like P. Allen Smith and watch a lot of his videos. I ordered a couple of his books as well. He is a sort of male Martha Stewart for the garden. Like Martha, he is a good presenter and very methodical. I think he explains things well and does not leave me with too many questions about things. He is very easy on the eyes, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2022, 07:40 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,656 posts, read 81,386,567 times
Reputation: 57906
We have a local guru, Ciscoe Morris, who does radio and TV, but also many public appearances. I have met him several times,
he's a really friendly, fun and humorous guy, and I have learned a lot from him.

https://www.seattleschild.com/oh-la-...ciscoe-morris/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2022, 11:08 AM
 
2,221 posts, read 1,342,323 times
Reputation: 3415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have a local guru, Ciscoe Morris, who does radio and TV, but also many public appearances. I have met him several times,
he's a really friendly, fun and humorous guy, and I have learned a lot from him.

https://www.seattleschild.com/oh-la-...ciscoe-morris/
I need to find someone like that here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2022, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
83,566 posts, read 75,505,242 times
Reputation: 16644
This guy is. My neighbor. 86yrs old still doing a 40' x 18' garden. End of season now but he had 80 tomato plants, you can see the pile back there.





Last month. The tomatoes looked like trees. lol


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2022, 12:05 PM
 
2,221 posts, read 1,342,323 times
Reputation: 3415
^^^ Wow, amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2022, 10:19 PM
 
2,221 posts, read 1,342,323 times
Reputation: 3415
I learnt something new tonight from my garden guru! We have all dealt with wasps building their nests everywhere including on the ceilings of our porches, yes? Well, did you know that the colour pale blue will seriously deter this behaviour? Neither did I! Smith says pale blue "confuses" the wasps, and they will not build on that colour. Fascinating and very useful tip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2022, 05:07 PM
 
542 posts, read 450,187 times
Reputation: 1642
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
Who is/are your garden guru(s), or do you have any? I really like P. Allen Smith and watch a lot of his videos. I ordered a couple of his books as well. He is a sort of male Martha Stewart for the garden. Like Martha, he is a good presenter and very methodical. I think he explains things well and does not leave me with too many questions about things. He is very easy on the eyes, too!
My parents. They do a 60x90 garden and are 83 and 80 years old. They don't use chemicals and get fantastic results. They hand weed. this year 800lbs of potatoes harvested, 100 plants of tomatoes that they canned and processed, broccoli, kale, pumpkins, Brussel sprouts, white and yellow onions, arugula, cucumbers, carrots (they gave us 40lbs), various herbs, and probably a few things I forgot.

They were recently featured in a story about oldsters and gardening that had pictures and an interview. They are mentally sharp, physically fit, and don't need any form of medication. I won't be shocked if they make it to 100.
,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2022, 07:32 AM
 
2,221 posts, read 1,342,323 times
Reputation: 3415
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
My parents. They do a 60x90 garden and are 83 and 80 years old. They don't use chemicals and get fantastic results. They hand weed. this year 800lbs of potatoes harvested, 100 plants of tomatoes that they canned and processed, broccoli, kale, pumpkins, Brussel sprouts, white and yellow onions, arugula, cucumbers, carrots (they gave us 40lbs), various herbs, and probably a few things I forgot.

They were recently featured in a story about oldsters and gardening that had pictures and an interview. They are mentally sharp, physically fit, and don't need any form of medication. I won't be shocked if they make it to 100.
,
That is amazing!!! Gives us all hope, yes? Please share the link to the story if you have it. Thank you for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2022, 05:09 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
83,566 posts, read 75,505,242 times
Reputation: 16644
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
My parents. They do a 60x90 garden and are 83 and 80 years old. They don't use chemicals and get fantastic results. They hand weed. this year 800lbs of potatoes harvested, 100 plants of tomatoes that they canned and processed, broccoli, kale, pumpkins, Brussel sprouts, white and yellow onions, arugula, cucumbers, carrots (they gave us 40lbs), various herbs, and probably a few things I forgot.

They were recently featured in a story about oldsters and gardening that had pictures and an interview. They are mentally sharp, physically fit, and don't need any form of medication. I won't be shocked if they make it to 100.
,
Awesome! They are true inspirations for sure.




No Farm, No Food. Lets take care of and respect our farmers and gardeners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2022, 05:51 AM
 
Location: The Garden State
1,334 posts, read 2,997,004 times
Reputation: 1392
I'm mostly a specimen tree admirer. If you want to geek out on Japanese Maples there is no better place IMO than "Mr Maple". I follow them on instagram and Youtube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top