Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 09:47 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,330,555 times

Advertisements

Growing up, we often saw small white one spring up overnight. The adults called them Devil's Food. I have no idea whether they were poisonous, but we never chanced it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2022, 04:22 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Did it attack someone?? What did I miss??

My xhubby loved to forage for mushrooms. He'd come home elated. Pretty sure he was partaking of the "funny" kind to be THAT elated

Yet on occasion when he did find a variant that baffled his skills, He'd take it over to our neighbor. The guy was a professor at the university and studied fungus.

I detested mushrooms so he never had to be concerned that I was going to take from his stash. He did get complimented on his dinner courses when his home foraged mushrooms were used. He did have a knack for creative dishes! Thank goodness he didn't poison anyone!

Old 10-31-2022, 05:22 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
My parents were mushroom foragers. Shaggy manes are great, easy to identify, and very tasty.

We used to get pasture mushrooms in cow fields. They are the same as the white mushrooms you buy in the supermarket. They have snow whie tops and pink gills. If the gills are white, you don’t pick them.

Sometimes we would find what my dad called Horse Mushrooms. Identical to the small white ones, but huge, some the size of dinner plates! My dad had a particular field to get them. He and my Uncle, Dad’s brother, would go early in the mornings.
One morning the cows were all out in the field, very curious as to what the guys were doing. So my uncle decides to give one to the lead cow. That was the very last time they found mushrooms in that field!
My father used to get stump mushrooms in the woods, he called them Stumpies. Might be the same as what Parnassia above called chicken mushrooms? So good.

I don’t trust my knowledge enough to try foraging, but they sure can be good!

Old 10-31-2022, 07:02 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Shaggy manes are the only one I trust myself to harvest. I owned a piece of property that on some years produces a lot of them and most years a few. On the years just a few come up the neighbors let me pick them from their yards.
You would recognize giant puffballs. I've always wanted to find one.

Old 10-31-2022, 08:38 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post

......Sometimes we would find what my dad called Horse Mushrooms. Identical to the small white ones, but huge, some the size of dinner plates! My dad had a particular field to get them. He and my Uncle, Dad’s brother, would go early in the mornings.
One morning the cows were all out in the field, very curious as to what the guys were doing. So my uncle decides to give one to the lead cow. That was the very last time they found mushrooms in that field!........
LOL. That's funny.

Old 11-01-2022, 01:07 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
LOL. That's funny.

Sounded like a great way to shoot oneself in the culinary foot to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden