Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 10:57 AM

344 posts, read 439,301 times

Advertisements

According to an Oct. 3 announcement posted to the Honda dealer Interactive Network, Honda will end its lawn mower production by September 2023 and left over inventory will be offered in 2024 until it is sold out.

The statement from Honda Power Sports & Products said the company plans to discontinue production of lawn mowers at its North Carolina manufacturing facility in September 2023 and move all-terrain vehicle production there from its South Carolina facility. The South Carolina facility will "solely focus on Honda side-by-side production."

"The decision to end lawn mower production is driven by market forces such as stricter environmental regulations, shifting customer preferences, and our focus on growing profitable products in our portfolio," the statement said. "Honda will continue to sell the remainder of its lawn and garden product line and industrial type power products such as GX engines, generators and water pumps, and continue to supports its service and parts operations in the U.S. market."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqDOPkM1TII

https://www.rurallifestyledealer.com...n-mower-market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 02:11 PM

19,468 posts, read 22,373,264 times
Not surprising. Electric cordless mower sales are very robust.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:53 PM

10,153 posts, read 6,602,520 times
Glad to see the big "H" stay in the emergency power generation game.

We may all need these sooner, rather than later.

It's handy to have pumps too. Especially if you're in a "low lying area."

Honda's sure are dependable.

I can understand them leaving, due to "environmental regulations" though.

Old 11-02-2022, 06:48 AM

83,324 posts, read 74,639,329 times
Losing a reliable source due to "government environmental regulations" is another jab at the consumer pocket. Unbelievable

Old 11-02-2022, 07:01 AM

8,369 posts, read 7,318,697 times
I survived the demise of the Cooper Clipper...I guess I'll survive this as well.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:06 AM

4,798 posts, read 5,978,265 times
There is such a thing as as a conscious and well thought out government regulation and then there is the shoot form the hip government mandates hurry up regulations.

With so many state and city mandates hitting hard at ice lawn equipment abolishment I just hope we as a nation are not entering the battery rabbit hole to quickly and we have the technology to handle the increased electrical needs and disposal technology or recycling technology to support these rapidly moving mandates.

On another note, Honda products are known for their quality and longevity, hopefully they still support through their parts system for those of us that maintain our equipment to last.

Old 11-02-2022, 04:08 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,846,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Honda products are known for their quality and longevity, hopefully they still support through their parts system for those of us that maintain our equipment to last.
My Dad had a Honda riding mower that lasted forever. I never understood why they quit making the riders.

When I got a power washer, I picked the one with the Honda engine.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:11 PM

6,430 posts, read 6,965,259 times
I’ve had a lawn service for 25 plus years, I only use commercial Toro (it’s a local company that every lawn service uses) and Lawn Boy mini mowers (21 inch ones) and I decided to try a Honda and bought it. Regretted it the first time I used it. A month later I still hated it and found a used Lawn Boy that functions so much better (Toro owns Lawn Boy). No clue how Honda lawn mowers have lasted this long.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:37 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,801,318 times
I have a Honda mower. The engine starts right up, but after two years the deck had literally started to disintegrate to the point there was nothing solid to affix the wheels to. I was able to rig it to mow another year but a mower with a 3 year obsolescence is ridiculous. The "tread" on the plastic wheels were completely smooth and getting useless. My dad's push mower of 30 years still has the original wheels and tread on them.

Almost forgot to mention, the mower was supposed to be ready to use straight from the box after adding oil and gas. One of the wheels fell off in under 1 minute.

The box had a big American flag with the words "Made in the USA, from domestic and imported components".

There were other problems. Many of them (like self propelled feature). All downstream from the engine.

Good engine, crap mower. I'm not surprised to see them exit their market that they destroyed with their own products.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:14 AM

8,302 posts, read 3,875,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I have a Honda mower. The engine starts right up, but after two years the deck had literally started to disintegrate to the point there was nothing solid to affix the wheels to. I was able to rig it to mow another year but a mower with a 3 year obsolescence is ridiculous. The "tread" on the plastic wheels were completely smooth and getting useless. My dad's push mower of 30 years still has the original wheels and tread on them.

Almost forgot to mention, the mower was supposed to be ready to use straight from the box after adding oil and gas. One of the wheels fell off in under 1 minute.

The box had a big American flag with the words "Made in the USA, from domestic and imported components".

There were other problems. Many of them (like self propelled feature). All downstream from the engine.

Good engine, crap mower. I'm not surprised to see them exit their market that they destroyed with their own products.
Used to work for a Japanese automaker as an engineer. It is not surprising that Honda failed in the gas mower business - realize that their chief engineers live on a rock in the Pacific where mowing grass like we do here in North America is a baffling exercise. I am sure it's not a profitable sector for them in any case.

As others have mentioned above Honda engines are still among the best in the world, and accordingly, they are not cheap. But if the engine is coupled to a mower structure that falls apart in a year of use, what good is it? Who is going to pay a premium price for that?

It's not only Honda, the durability of yard/garden equipment has been deteriorating for decades. I am old enough to remember the Simplicity and Power King garden tractors that were designed to last indefinitely. You can still see those machines in use 40 and 50 years later. Same thing with the original Troy-Bilt tillers, they were nearly indestructible. Today's cheap junk version is a joke compared to the original design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden