U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2022, 07:37 AM

11,612 posts, read 11,577,378 times

Advertisements

I read that greengages are a cultivar of Prunus domestica (European plum). Except, my Gulf Ruby cultivar tree of Prunus salicina (Chinese plum) produced fruit that tasted exactly greengages. They are supposed to go red when they're fully ripe, but I ate them when they were green and virtually gage-like. Their taste was no different to a greengage.

So I would take it that greengages are just plums that aren't fully ripe or what?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 07:48 AM

8,897 posts, read 12,397,454 times
Green gage is a cultivar of edible plums.

Old 11-05-2022, 07:49 AM

54,733 posts, read 76,343,601 times
From the same family. But plums come in many shapes and colors (there are around 40 species of plums)
https://leafyplace.com/types-of-plums/

Old 11-05-2022, 08:29 AM

11,612 posts, read 11,577,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
From the same family. But plums come in many shapes and colors (there are around 40 species of plums)
https://leafyplace.com/types-of-plums/
I'm aware that there are many cultivars and that they're all in the same family. I guess my question was if most plum varieties (if not all) would taste like greengages when they're not quite ripe and are green in colour. Because my ones sure did, and yet they aren't even P. domestica. Pretty strange. So in other words, you can get a "greengage" even if your plum isn't an actual greengage cultivar (P. d. ssp. italica), if that makes sense, because some unripe plum cultivars taste like, and the texture of, "true" greengages.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:43 AM

13,560 posts, read 12,354,979 times
Plums, gages, damsons and sloes are closely related in the prunus family but they aren't all the same and don't always get their names because of their colours or taste. Greengage is the name of a specific cultivar of gage known to have a very high sugar content and succulence by comparison with other cultivars of plums, gages, damsons and sloes. Look-alikes are just other cultivars of "prunus whatever" that might look and taste like greengages at certain stages in their development but that doesn't make them greengages. Don't get hung up on the name "greengage" nor try to apply that name to other cultivars of plums, gages, damsons and sloes.

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-05-2022 at 12:18 PM..

Old 11-05-2022, 11:54 AM

54,733 posts, read 76,343,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I'm aware that there are many cultivars and that they're all in the same family. I guess my question was if most plum varieties (if not all) would taste like greengages when they're not quite ripe and are green in colour. Because my ones sure did, and yet they aren't even P. domestica. Pretty strange. So in other words, you can get a "greengage" even if your plum isn't an actual greengage cultivar (P. d. ssp. italica), if that makes sense, because some unripe plum cultivars taste like, and the texture of, "true" greengages.
Most fruit bought from grocery stores isn't harvested ripe, but get ripe in warehouses under certain condition
I don't know where you bought your plums, but those direct from farmers tend to taste different, because they are harvested when ripe.

Old 11-06-2022, 10:26 AM

30,926 posts, read 42,535,070 times
You are picking and eating your green gage plums too early. They aren't ripe yet. They should be soft and quite sweet and yellow inside when you eat them.

Old 11-06-2022, 02:17 PM

13,560 posts, read 12,354,979 times
I think there's a bit of confusion going on here. The OP is enquiring about his Gulf Ruby cultivar of Prunus salicina ( a red Chinese plum) that he has growing on his own property. OP never said he bought any plums anywhere and his Gulf Ruby tree that he picked some unripened samples from isn't a greengage. His Gulf Ruby simply produced some developing plums that he sampled while they were still green before they were ripe and red and he found them to be similar to greengages.

Here are pictures of ripened Gulf Ruby and Gulf Gold Chinese plums:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Gulf+...ih=560&dpr=1.5

Here are greengages:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ripe+...ih=560&dpr=1.5

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden