Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 05:28 AM

83,492 posts, read 75,195,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
Yes, "planting" the pots so to speak is what I read was a good way to protect them if you have the room to do that.

For those who may never have noticed it before, next time you are digging in your garden, once you have dug down about 10"-12", feel the soil with your hands. You will notice it feels warm. That is earth's molten core radiating up heat toward the surface, and it protects a lot of plants and trees throughout the Winter. Our beautiful blue planet really is a marvel.

I used to measure my soil temp with a thermometer, I stopped because I was doing manually every morning. I need to get a wireless sensor one day. Anyway.. It was always at 4 inches down and the soil temp wouldn't fluctuate like the air temp but it would definitely stay cooler. This is because the heat from the sun and air doesn't penetrate down much.

Soil temps DID trend up and down with the air temp though BUT in winter would not drop as much as the air temp, Upper 20s was the coldest while Low 80s was the warmest in the summer. And we surely get colder and warmer than that

But Zoisite has a good point. Dig them down and they'll have a chance. My Grandfather used to bury is Fig tree every winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden