Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 12:27 PM

17,220 posts, read 57,124,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, in fact the McCullough that I bought in 1979 never leaked, I replaced it in 2019 only because the pull-start broke and I couldn't find the parts. My neighbor across the street had a Stihl about the same age and when he moved he left it for the new owner. I helped him start it the other day and it doesn't leak. When they started adding Ethanol to gas we started to buy the pre-mixed fuel at Home Depot or Lowe's, which has no Ethanol in it. If you use regular pump gas to mix with the oil that stuff will deteriorate the rubber gaskets and tubing and it will leak.
You can buy the pre-mixed fuel but it's quite expensive. Look on Pure Gas.com and find a station with non-ethanol gas and mix your own, that's what I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 03:19 PM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
I can't remember a chainsaw ever leaking. The hydraulic wood splitter is another story and that has had some seals and filters replaced to stop leaks.

And the hydraulic dump truck the same thing, The hydraulics are prone to leaking. But not a problem with the chainsaw (touch wood)

Old 12-21-2022, 08:29 PM

56 posts, read 43,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My 20yo Stihl doesn't leak, and I've cut hundreds of cords with it.
Good saw!

Old 12-22-2022, 06:43 AM

4,564 posts, read 2,706,649 times
Any small tool full of oil, I assume is going to leak or weep oil, more or less, and I put it on a pan.

I am a big big big fan of electric (both corded and battery) chainsaws for the kind of small homeowner work I do. I have some power lines running through trees and the trees need to be trimmed out of the lines every month or so. Near the pole, they're really high up. I've been doing that with a pole saw (manual) for decades now, and it's really tough on the neck and back. Much of the work I have to stand on a ladder, extend the pole saw fully, and then hack back and forth with the saw blade, which of course wants to jam or jump out of the kerf. These aren't huge branches, even a 1 1/2" branch is too big for the lopper and you've got to saw it. With the pole-mounted teeny cordless chainsaw, you just rest the thing on the branch, pull the trigger, and 5 seconds later the cut's made. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

Obviously the electric chainsaw is not going to take a 2 foot diameter oak and turn it into firewood nor is it useful in the woods. If the time comes where that's a question I'll be purchasing a high quality gas machine. Horses for courses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden