Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 07:47 PM

56 posts, read 43,214 times

Advertisements

It seems most saws will leak from carb, air filter, fuel line, and fuel tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2022, 12:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
No, in fact the McCullough that I bought in 1979 never leaked, I replaced it in 2019 only because the pull-start broke and I couldn't find the parts. My neighbor across the street had a Stihl about the same age and when he moved he left it for the new owner. I helped him start it the other day and it doesn't leak. When they started adding Ethanol to gas we started to buy the pre-mixed fuel at Home Depot or Lowe's, which has no Ethanol in it. If you use regular pump gas to mix with the oil that stuff will deteriorate the rubber gaskets and tubing and it will leak.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:12 PM

257 posts, read 165,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, in fact the McCullough that I bought in 1979 never leaked, I replaced it in 2019 only because the pull-start broke and I couldn't find the parts. My neighbor across the street had a Stihl about the same age and when he moved he left it for the new owner. I helped him start it the other day and it doesn't leak. When they started adding Ethanol to gas we started to buy the pre-mixed fuel at Home Depot or Lowe's, which has no Ethanol in it. If you use regular pump gas to mix with the oil that stuff will deteriorate the rubber gaskets and tubing and it will leak.

Ethanol has inherent properties that can cause corrosion of metal parts, including carburetors, degradation of plastic and rubber components, ...

Meanwhile....

German chainsaw manufacturer Stihl is making itself an accomplice to the illegal destruction of rainforests : the distribution of Stihl equipment ...

Does STIHL know where their chainsaws are? - Wildlife Alliance

Old 12-15-2022, 01:16 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When they started adding Ethanol to gas we started to buy the pre-mixed fuel at Home Depot or Lowe's, which has no Ethanol in it. If you use regular pump gas to mix with the oil that stuff will deteriorate the rubber gaskets and tubing and it will leak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootDiabetic View Post
Ethanol has inherent properties that can cause corrosion of metal parts, including carburetors, degradation of plastic and rubber components
That's why I use ethonol-free gas in all my equipment, both 2-stroke and 4-stroke. Sites like this one can help you find gas in your area. https://www.pure-gas.org

Old 12-15-2022, 02:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
That's why I use ethonol-free gas in all my equipment, both 2-stroke and 4-stroke. Sites like this one can help you find gas in your area. https://www.pure-gas.org
We have a Grange nearby that sells ethanol-free gas (Centex) and I use it in my Nova. Costs more, but I don't drive that many miles in it, only in good weather.

Old 12-15-2022, 04:54 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipastore View Post
My 20yo Stihl doesn't leak, and I've cut hundreds of cords with it.

Old 12-15-2022, 05:13 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Ethanol has inherent properties that can cause corrosion of metal parts, including carburetors, degradation of plastic and rubber components, ...

Meanwhile....

German chainsaw manufacturer Stihl is making itself an accomplice to the illegal destruction of rainforests : the distribution of Stihl equipment ...

Does STIHL know where their chainsaws are? - Wildlife Alliance

That is so beyond silly. That is like saying Ford is an accomplice to transportation of illegal goods and promotes drunk driving.

Old 12-15-2022, 05:23 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
I've gone thru 3 - 16" chain saws. All worked and never leaked. Just retired them after a decade or so of use. Each new saw was better handling. Really not much maintenance even when using E10 gas. And they are inexpensive as farm equipment. I always use Echo-Shindaiwa small engine equipment.
YSMV

Old 12-15-2022, 05:25 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Quote:

Does STIHL know where their chainsaws are? - Wildlife Alliance[/b]

[/url]
You are about 5 decades too late.

Old 12-15-2022, 07:33 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipastore View Post
Gas? No. Bar and chain oil? Yes, it sure seems that way with the chainsaws I've owned. A repairman said it was "normal" with my old Shindaiwa, no seals needed to be replaced. He said to just drain the oil out between uses. The damn thing leaks like a sieve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden