Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2023, 07:55 PM

60 posts, read 52,298 times

Advertisements

I haven't bought anything since before Covid. The price then was $3.48 for a 6-pack. The price at Lowe's yesterday in northern Florida for cabbage plants, that nobody would want to buy, was $6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 10:46 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Here in Canada it's $7 for a 6 pack of cabbage seedlings. The price has gone up here, 3 years ago it was $6 for a 6 pack. I looked up prices in America and on average it was $6.95 per 6 pack of seedlings.

If you want to grow cabbage you can get a seed packet with 30 or more seeds in it for $2.95 a packet and then grow your own. Cabbage is a cool climate plant though so it's hard to say how well it will grow in your warmer climate.

Old 01-09-2023, 03:58 AM

7,490 posts, read 7,162,976 times
Here is some good information you might find helpful:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gard...ough-roof.html
Plant prices are through the roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-be-gone View Post
I haven't bought anything since before Covid. The price then was $3.48 for a 6-pack. The price at Lowe's yesterday in northern Florida for cabbage plants, that nobody would want to buy, was $6.

Old 01-09-2023, 11:46 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
There won't be any veggie starts here for months yet. I always find the price for starts to be ridiculously high. Last year I saw tomato plants for $26. Not starts, but about 1 gallon size. You wouldn't get $26 worth of tomatoes off of that plant not to mention all your time and effort.

Most veggies are easy to grow, so I grow mine from seed. Although I haven't priced seed yet for this year. Maybe the price of starts won't look so bad.

One thing that is painfully obvious, as the years go by, the number of seeds in a packet gets smaller and smaller and smaller.

Old 01-09-2023, 06:12 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,093,260 times
In spring 2021 which was the last time I bought any vegetable seedlings, they cost me $4 for a 4-pack of peppers or eggplants. Larger vegetable plants sold as individual plants in 3-4" pots were being sold for about $3 back then.

Old 01-09-2023, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There won't be any veggie starts here for months yet. I always find the price for starts to be ridiculously high. Last year I saw tomato plants for $26. Not starts, but about 1 gallon size. You wouldn't get $26 worth of tomatoes off of that plant not to mention all your time and effort.

Most veggies are easy to grow, so I grow mine from seed. Although I haven't priced seed yet for this year. Maybe the price of starts won't look so bad.

One thing that is painfully obvious, as the years go by, the number of seeds in a packet gets smaller and smaller and smaller.
I don't mind that *too much*, as long as there's enough seeds to grow the amount of plants I want in my first year, and then after that I just save seeds.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:05 PM

60 posts, read 52,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Cabbage is a cool climate plant though so it's hard to say how well it will grow in your warmer climate.

That's what really kills me. Bonnie is the only supplier for Walmart, Ace Hardware, Lowe's and Home Depot in my area. Bonnie also has a nursery in Florida. They have a cabbage that matures in 45 days, but they seldom ship it to my area. Even in a normal winter we can seldom count on having 45 days without temps in the 80s, so trying to grow a long-season cabbage is a waste of time and money.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-be-gone View Post
That's what really kills me. Bonnie is the only supplier for Walmart, Ace Hardware, Lowe's and Home Depot in my area. Bonnie also has a nursery in Florida. They have a cabbage that matures in 45 days, but they seldom ship it to my area. Even in a normal winter we can seldom count on having 45 days without temps in the 80s, so trying to grow a long-season cabbage is a waste of time and money.
I don't find cabbage is ever worth buying as a plant at a nursery though - I only do it for plants that will produce more valuable crops like peppers and tomatoes, or maybe perennial herbs like tarragon or sage. Cabbage is pretty easy to start from seed indoors, I've found it's less prone to root rot and other issues compared to peppers and cucurbits.

Old 01-10-2023, 08:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Ours were higher last year than pre-Covid, but I opted to start from seed inside with an LED grow light. Here there will not be any summer plants like tomatoes and cucumbers until April-May so I don't know what they will cost this year.

Old 01-10-2023, 03:59 PM

1,063 posts, read 906,736 times
yes.
$6 plus tax.
the plant cost and everything else
plus time means a store bought cabbage
is cheaper since cabbage is featured
as a "loss leader" frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden