Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 09:09 AM

34 posts, read 36,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Looks like nutsedge to me.

It's a weed that is difficult to get rid of.

Picture This on my phone. I use it all the time to identify plants. Pretty handy. You just take a photo, it scans, then tells you what the plant is and all sorts of information.

I understand there are similar ones out there.
Thanks! I’ll get this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 09:10 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I’ll clean up the area. It actually is a decently nice looking weed I think lol.

Old 05-28-2023, 09:33 AM

2,871 posts, read 1,573,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It's a bulbous plant of some kind, trying to stay alive in the shade. Probably not blooming because it's not getting enough light because it was planted when the crape myrtle was a lot smaller.

Were it me, I'd mark the spot(s). Then come back in the fall, after all the foliage has dried back, dig up a few, and plant them where you plant your daffodils. You'll find out what they are in the spring. For now, leave them alone so they will build up their bulbs as much as possible.
I was going to say the same thing, it's definitely a bulb of some kind. Possibly snow drops or maybe grape hyacinth. It's gone leggy bc not enough sun. Snow drops bloom in very late winter though when there should have been enough sun, also I'm not sure snow drops would do well in Georgia, winters too warm except NW Georgia maybe, hardiness zones 3-7.

My guess is grape hyacinth though. Not very showy and not much of a scent if any. If you like them, leave them or else transplant them in the fall. If you send a picture to your local full-service garden center someone should be able to identify this for you. I've done that several times with the garden center we use.

Also, it's not liriope, we have a large patch of it in our backyard, it's much thicker with sturdier leaves. Not nutsedge either we have lots of that too. Our lawn is a mixture of "weeds" - violets, buttercups, strawberries - and native grass, Bermuda, looks like a green velvet carpet when cut. Never use any kind of weed killer or pesticide.

Good luck with your spring cleaning!

Old 05-28-2023, 10:16 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,605,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omf_24 View Post
Thanks! I’ll get this
I have a couple of those apps and really value them. It may not do much to help you with this particular plant though, because no flowers are available. As you can see from the responses you've gotten, it can be darned hard to ID plants with such a common growth form from just the leaves. If you had flowers, it would be dead easy.

Old 05-28-2023, 11:33 AM

44,878 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My first thought too, peaky looking liriope.
However I can barely get mine to grow, didn't realize it was now considered an invasive, time for it to go I guess.
Yeah, once it finds a spot it likes it'll go crazy, even in the shade.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:18 AM

3,172 posts, read 1,561,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Looks like nutsedge to me.

It's a weed that is difficult to get rid of.

Picture This on my phone. I use it all the time to identify plants. Pretty handy. You just take a photo, it scans, then tells you what the plant is and all sorts of information.

I understand there are similar ones out there.
I thought I had nutsedge/sedge, turned out to be wild tulips before they flowered.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:59 AM

I tried the app. It came back as garlic chives?!

Old 05-29-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I tried the app. It came back as garlic chives?!
You know, maybe. They can be invasive, too, so keep an eye on them. I still say it's a variety of Liriope.

Old 05-29-2023, 11:32 AM

If it’s garlic…..can’t I eat that…

Old 05-29-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
If it’s garlic…..can’t I eat that…
It's not "garlic" per se but a plant that has a vaguely garlicy smell and taste. You've heard of onion chives?

https://www.almanac.com/plant/chives

I'm going to suggest that you get a good gardening book. Here are some recommendations:

https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/st...s/?lens=storey
This is more oriented to vegetables.

https://www.gardendesign.com/how-to/
General info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden