Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 10:41 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times

Advertisements

Have any of you ever had or worked in a community garden? How did it go? Were there rules, informal agreements, fees? How were labor and expenses shared? What were the problems or conflicts?

If you were to have one, what would you do? How would you organize the participants?

Last year I bought a house that has the perfect location for a large vegetable garden. I don't have the time or energy to do it for myself. I have a tiny one up close to the house, for now.

Recently a couple of good friends expressed an interest in creating a vegetable garden in this space. I'm thinking we should build a series of narrow rectangular raised beds and each have our own section.

I'm looking for advice on how to do this successfully so that we can grow vegetables, enjoy our time together, and preserve and enhance our friendships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 11:08 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Recently a couple of good friends expressed an interest in creating a vegetable garden in this space. I'm thinking we should build a series of narrow rectangular raised beds and each have our own section.

I'm looking for advice on how to do this successfully so that we can grow vegetables, enjoy our time together, and preserve and enhance our friendships.
Cheap and easy, square foot gardening. 4' x 4'. Each one could build one or two and have plenty of dirt without tilling or even disturbing the existing soil.

http://www.frostcall.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/sfg.jpg (broken link)

Square foot gardening - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-01-2008, 03:18 PM

We will be building larger beds of this type. Probably 10' x 5' arranged on a grid. I've done this many times, but never with people other than my significant other.

I'm more interested in the logistics of the social/communal/shared aspects of this kind of gardening.

In the past, the few community garden projects I've observed were organized and run by people who didn't have their heads screwed on well. It was all ideas and few long-term solutions.

I want to hear about ones that worked.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:36 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Wouldn`t it be nice if everyone could just work together on a huge garden?

Old 06-01-2008, 05:42 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
I love the grid pattern with the ease of not tilling. I have never done the community garden thing, but I hope it works for you. I think just the idea of sharing whatever you grow, with someone who is growing other things is a great idea. lots of variety without as much work.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:24 PM

I'm looking forward to it too.

One of the people who wants to participate is coming over sometime this week so we work on where we want to put the beds. Essentially we'll do a site plan. There's a lot of space and I'd like for the vegetable garden part of the yard to be well integrated into the rest of the yard.

Some of the group have not done much gardening at all. Others are fairly experienced.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,962 times
Default yard sharing and community gardens

hey folks..I've built a site dedicated to matching people up to grow food together. Its no cost, and tons of folks there are talking about how to do it well. please visit! [url=http://hyperlocavore.com]Hyperlocavore - A free yard sharing community[/url]

Old 09-02-2009, 05:42 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I'd just be worried about having somebody come along and taking my veggies. We had a community style garden co op a few years back. People paid a fee for the garden space and planted their own veggies. It folded for lack of profit and participation. It sounded like a good enough idea, but the area was extremely big on farming and people have gardens already. I think it could have worked in a more urban setting. Just tear down a brown site or a block of crumbling rowhouses and put in a garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden