Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 12:39 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I don't think it ever actually pays to have a garden... the payoff is in the fun of it.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 01:48 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
I don't think it ever actually pays to have a garden... the payoff is in the fun of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Exactly.
Well that may be true, we do have about $1,000 in material that was used to build off what was here already plus building out a bit. In our case some of the things we try to grow (in addition to strawberries) are things we don't see 'fresh' and especially not organic. What's sold here that is organic is mucho expensive. Generally twice the cost of non-organic.

The ongoing annual costs are not bad. A few tools here and there, seeds, some fertilizer.

When we had a big garden at our first house in WV our 50x100 garden was 'free'. We had a spot that had a pile of decomposing brush under a massive wild rose thicket. All it took was my labor to clear the brush and large leftover woody limbs of ex trees, shovel that rich crap around, borrow a neighbors tractor to disc it and we were off to the races. Never need watering. Bought some bulk mulch and weeded. We grew twice as much as we do here in Montana. All kinds of beans, tomatoes out the wazzoo, watermelons, melons, sweet corn, okra, peas- even peanuts. It was amazing. We had years of stuff saved up by canning and freezing, and it sure did help because we were young and house broke back then, lol.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Interesting points. If I fertilized them I'd probably get more. What type of manure do you use?
We got horse manure from a local stable. They mixed it with sawdust and sold it fresh or aged but you don't want to use fresh in the vegetable garden. They would just scoop it into my pickup with their loader. Of course for you, just buy it bagged, Amazon has it, as well as bigger garden centers. It's used for most mushrooms and the bags will say sterilized or pasteurized.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I just remembered an interesting story, when my in-laws grew strawberries on the soil strip along the side of their house. They kept losing the ripe berries to neighbor kids, saw them a few times stealing them. So one of those boys walked by one day when my father-in-law was out front, and he asked the kid if he knew who was seating the strawberries. Of course the kid said no, but then he responded "well if you find out tell him that the dog likes to pee on those plants."

Old 04-05-2024, 02:36 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,745,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock140 View Post
i just remembered an interesting story, when my in-laws grew strawberries on the soil strip along the side of their house. They kept losing the ripe berries to neighbor kids, saw them a few times stealing them. So one of those boys walked by one day when my father-in-law was out front, and he asked the kid if he knew who was seating the strawberries. Of course the kid said no, but then he responded "well if you find out tell him that the dog likes to pee on those plants."
:d

Old 04-05-2024, 03:00 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
I have strawberries all over. They keep spreading. They raste much better than store bought which have been bred to withstand transport. I live in the country but haven't had any issues with rats. I might suggest hanging pots for the strawberries if there is a rodent problem.

I can't grow tulips. The deer eat the blooms. I don't know why they haven't bothered the strawberries.

Old 04-05-2024, 05:40 PM

45,388 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I have strawberries all over. They keep spreading. They raste much better than store bought which have been bred to withstand transport. I live in the country but haven't had any issues with rats. I might suggest hanging pots for the strawberries if there is a rodent problem.

I can't grow tulips. The deer eat the blooms. I don't know why they haven't bothered the strawberries.
That is somewhat strange. I had a farmer friend going on 50 years ago who raised strawberries which got just absolutely by deer.

He ended up getting a depredation permit and shot almost 200 over the course of a couple years. He still had some crop loss/damage but he at least was able to harvest enough to sell, which was his original purpose.

Old 04-05-2024, 05:59 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That is somewhat strange. I had a farmer friend going on 50 years ago who raised strawberries which got just absolutely by deer.

He ended up getting a depredation permit and shot almost 200 over the course of a couple years. He still had some crop loss/damage but he at least was able to harvest enough to sell, which was his original purpose.
If we didn't fence our garden it would be obliterated by deer and my neighbors free ranging eurasian geese. Our cats take care of the mice and occasional prairie dog.

Oddly back in WV deer didn't bother our garden, but then again we always had an outdoor dog around. Crows? Those bastards knew EXACTLY when the silver queen was ripe, and I had to net it.

Old 04-05-2024, 06:02 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Hi all,

I bought a single strawberry plant a few years back and put it in a planter and since then it has spawned 2 more plants in two additional planters. So now I have 3 planters with three strawberry plants but the planners are pretty crowded too deep and it makes it hard to keep pests and whatnot off of the strawberries including rats that sometimes get them. I have been debating building a raised planter bed that will give the strawberries more room and so I can apply some anti pest management like egg shells, coffee grounds, and dematiaceous earth around the plants.

But every time I go to price this out and think about it I think about the cost of building the raised planter bed and the struggle to keep pests out. If I wanna keep the rats out I'm going to have to build some kind of a cage over the planter and it just seems like it doesn't make a lot of sense financially. Strawberries are pretty expensive right now but looking at the costs and the amount of work it seems like it will take me years to recoup my costs and may not be worth the hassle.

It just seems pointless to grow my own, unless I do it simply for enjoyment. Financially, I will probably not recoup the cost and it seems like a ton of work.

curious to see what others think.
Well... because https://flstrawberryfestival.com/

Old 04-05-2024, 07:20 PM

2,069 posts, read 1,010,702 times
Quote:
Yes indeed, this is the truth. "Labor of love" is the term here.

I started a small farm and ran it for four years. It was not a financial success as a business, but one of the best times of my life. And if I needed produce for a meal, I'd just go out and pick it. You can't beat that, but you will pay for it. It's worth it...life isn't all about money, so if you love your fresh strawberries then do what you have to do.

Threerun, I enjoy all your pictures and am not too far from your location, so the terrain and fortifications look similar to what I have. Where I am, all gardens must be surrounded by an 8 foot fence because of deer. If you can't fence it, don't grow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden