U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:32 AM

510 posts, read 1,548,614 times

Advertisements

I have a very active grape vine, only one. I was wondering what is the best way to support it and make it look handsome? How should I cut it to train it to grow up a support?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 01:03 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,451,360 times
The vineyard near me recommended that I cut all but the strongest shoot. Then allow that to grow to about 3 or 4 feet tall. Using a wire trellis, stretch the vine out along the wire and let them grow out, and off the ground. Keeps critters from eating the grapes and leaves.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:10 PM

38,693 posts, read 45,074,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
The vineyard near me recommended that I cut all but the strongest shoot. Then allow that to grow to about 3 or 4 feet tall. Using a wire trellis, stretch the vine out along the wire and let them grow out, and off the ground. Keeps critters from eating the grapes and leaves.
Correct, and you'll also get a better quality production of grapes.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:14 PM

77 posts, read 217,805 times
Default when?

When do you cut? I have two grape vines this year - just big enough to go up the arbor... Do I cut now (saw some fruit forming on one) or later?

Old 06-10-2008, 07:11 PM

38,693 posts, read 45,074,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ania View Post
When do you cut? I have two grape vines this year - just big enough to go up the arbor... Do I cut now (saw some fruit forming on one) or later?
I fruit is forming now, then it's too late for cutting, wait until after the fruiting period when the plant goes dormant.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:09 PM

510 posts, read 1,548,614 times
we have a strong base of 3-4 feet and then a jungle of shoots. How many directions should I spread this plant out? I just want it to look pretty this year, not one big bush.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:20 PM

2,039 posts, read 2,781,101 times
Familymom, how long did it take your grape vines to fruit? I didn't mean to hijack your post, but I have a 3 year-old grape vine & I've yet to see any fruits, so I'm curious.

THanks.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,521 times
Default grape vine assistance

I have had the vine for more than ten years and it is still not producing. It produces leaves only. I would like to keep the vine but would like to see some production. What do I do?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 AM

13,508 posts, read 29,464,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas67 View Post
I have had the vine for more than ten years and it is still not producing. It produces leaves only. I would like to keep the vine but would like to see some production. What do I do?
Maybe you need both a male and a female? Do you know what cultivar you have?

Old 12-06-2008, 08:14 AM

1,985 posts, read 5,865,718 times
I had nine different grapes with a total of fifteen plants. I made a aharbor out of cedar poles on the end and all along the top the middle poles were eight feet apart. Mainly because that was what I had the most of. I used 1/4 inch cable I got from the hardware store. The grape vines will get very heavy with folaige and grapes. The aharbor was 36 feet long and eight feet tall. I am very glad I built this way. I had the cable strung at three feet above the ground and two feet intervals above that. I let the biggest vine grow straight up to the top pole. I picked the best two vines from the summer starting at the first wire and let one grow right and one grow left. So I ended up with a vine looking like "T's" stacked on one another. I cut the small vines off with sharp knife or scissors in summer or winter,more pruning in winter though. I had grapes on the second summer. As the vines grew thicker and longer they did intermingle with the other grape vines. Grapes won't cross pollinate so this was possible. I had the aharbor pointing almost exactly north and south so the sun could shine on both sides of the aharbor. I had purples,scuppernogs,greens,reds and white grapes. It looked really good and the amount of fruit was amazing. On the fourth year I had over four, five gallon buckets full of grapes and still had more coming when we sold the house. I had bought grapes from catalogs,took cuttings from friends plants,planted seeds and even some from the box stores. I had planned the grapes to come off fruit from mid july to the last of august. We lived east of Nashville,TN. We had a small stream on our property and I even planted some extra grapes near it. I had them growing wild on the wild wild rasberry bushes.
I sold some of the large pretty leaves to people that still canned their own produce, so they could include in their jars for whatever reason and some to old time healers too!
Plan to keep the birds out of them, they will surely eat their due if you let them. I used that deer netting and draped it over the aharbor and laid boards along the bottom with rocks on them. So I could raise this up and get into the grapes. I let the netting overlap about 1 1/2 feet. I left a open space about six feet wide in the middle for the animals to eat. As this is how I always do things, sort of pay them back for shareing the land and plants with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden