Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 07:53 AM

333 posts, read 1,063,366 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Has anyone used BorderMagic or any other concrete border for their landscape edging? It's essentially a "curb" laid around your gardens, trees, etc.

It's supposed to be "affordable" and from the various pictures I've seen...it looks pretty good! Just looking to see if anyone's had this done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 03:13 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Never seen it - but now I'm looking into it to!!! Looks like a nice system, as long as you don't mind the fact that if you ever wanted to change it, it would require some real work. I put in a request for more info, so we'll see what happens!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:21 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
a few of the folks in our neighborhood have used this
one of the landscape projects I am working on the homeowner has expressed an interest in adding this to the landscape
He wants one that is "stamped " with a design and the one I have seen so far are what I call the plain tootsie roll look

I would think it would make edging easier

Old 06-13-2008, 05:51 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
We've had similiar edging in the past.
The pro: Looks good, neat for trimming, makes an attractive border, can be shaped or contoured easily.
Con: Fading colors, cracking, or heaving with weather changes.
If the concrete is poured too weak, it can crumble within a few years.
Remember it's poured on top of the soil, not a down deep footing like street curbing, therefore if the gound shifts or moves for any reason, it will separate.
Get refernces and go see a couple of jobs before you decide and ask those customers how they like the product and the company.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 13,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
We've had similiar edging in the past.

Con: Fading colors, cracking, or heaving with weather changes.
If the concrete is poured too weak, it can crumble within a few years.
Remember it's poured on top of the soil, not a down deep footing like street curbing, therefore if the gound shifts or moves for any reason, it will separate.
Get refernces and go see a couple of jobs before you decide and ask those customers how they like the product and the company.

Hi Belize, we own [url=http://www.ABetterEdge.com]A Better Edge - Landscape Edging - Concrete Edging, Borders and Curbs for residential Landscaping in Colorado Springs from A Better Edge[/url] It seems that most people agree that, when done well, stamped concrete edging looks great. Nitram has given some of the best advice. Even in the franchise world, the actual work varies from one installer to another. So, getting references and seeing actual jobs (Don't rely on pictures as many companies will take other people's photos and use them to promote themselves - we've had ours stolen for ads and websites.)

Nitram's concerns are not unnoticed. However, most of the problems he mentioned are the results of uniformed or bad work. We at [url=http://www.abetteredge.com]A Better Edge - Landscape Edging - Concrete Edging, Borders and Curbs for residential Landscaping in Colorado Springs from A Better Edge[/url] warranty against problems like fading colors, cracking and heaving and I know other companies do as well.

Although A Better Edge [url=http://www.ABetterEdge.com]A Better Edge - Landscape Edging - Concrete Edging, Borders and Curbs for residential Landscaping in Colorado Springs from A Better Edge[/url] does not go as deep as a street curb, it is important to note that; in their book titled Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures-14th edition, the Portland Cement Association [url=http://www.cement.org]PCA - The Portland Cement Association[/url] acknowledges that satisfactory slabs can be laid on grade. At A Better Edge [url=http://www.ABetterEdge.com]A Better Edge - Landscape Edging - Concrete Edging, Borders and Curbs for residential Landscaping in Colorado Springs from A Better Edge[/url], we actually attempt to get at the grass root level to help reduce encroachment. Some companies may not go as deep and may use a smaller (shorter and thinner) strip of concrete which will lead to less stability and more cracking.

Overall, Stamped Concrete Edging is the best option available, in my biased opinion.

Feel free to call me at 719.233.3343. I am happy to answer questions even if you are not one of our clients. We want the entire industry to succeed. Have a great day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden