Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 07:47 AM

602 posts, read 1,957,898 times

Advertisements

I bought some blue mophead hydrangeas (my favorite) at Sam's right before Mother's Day, watered them devoutly, transplanted them into a sunny spot in the yard complete with coffee grounds and shredded aluminum cans (to keep them blue). We've been getting LOTS of sun and a bit of rain, and when it gets too hot and dry for a day or so I water them thoroughly myself. They're inside a fence, and we have no pets to dig them up or otherwise harm them.
Yet these po' thangs look like King Tut's boutonniere. Any advice? What am I doing wrong? I'm by no means an experienced gardener, but I did read up on what to do, and sought advice, and followed it. Are these babies going to die anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 09:50 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,045,180 times
flourchild
I did a search and found this interesting article that might answer some of your questions
there is a difference in "gift hydrangeas " and landscape ones

Thanks for asking this question I was able to learn something I wasn't aware of

The "gift" hydrangea: What to do with it.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:04 AM

11,375 posts, read 24,359,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
I bought some blue mophead hydrangeas (my favorite) at Sam's right before Mother's Day, watered them devoutly, transplanted them into a sunny spot in the yard complete with coffee grounds and shredded aluminum cans (to keep them blue). We've been getting LOTS of sun and a bit of rain, and when it gets too hot and dry for a day or so I water them thoroughly myself. They're inside a fence, and we have no pets to dig them up or otherwise harm them.
Yet these po' thangs look like King Tut's boutonniere. Any advice? What am I doing wrong? I'm by no means an experienced gardener, but I did read up on what to do, and sought advice, and followed it. Are these babies going to die anyway?
You're expecting too much too soon. And if you read Karla's link, you'll see that it may be exhausted and need some rest. Quit torturing it with cans and coffee grounds. Put it in a shadier location if you're able to and water it when you're allowed to. You all have had some bad dry weather so you can't expect much. RELAX.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:42 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,117,676 times
I thought Hydrangeas were a morning sun plant? The one I have in full sun hardly put out any new growth, yet the one in almost complete shade has bloomed twice. Endless Hydrangeas are awesome.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:34 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,842,200 times
I was told by a man at a nursery that the plants you get in full bloom in early spring have been PUSHED into bloom and will not stay through the entire growing season of the plant... but NEXT year SHOULD flower at the regular time... Mine hasn't a single bloom on it yet however... we shall see if that theory works.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:09 PM

11,375 posts, read 24,359,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I thought Hydrangeas were a morning sun plant? The one I have in full sun hardly put out any new growth, yet the one in almost complete shade has bloomed twice. Endless Hydrangeas are awesome.
It depends on how much morning sun and plenty of other factors. Morning sun is cooler in temperature than midday or afternoon. Filtered sunlight through trees suits them as well.

Hydrangeas are one of the easier shrubs to grow but they don't care to dry out or be stressed out by the hot sun - just like you.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,199,409 times
I had three hydrangeas given to me as Mother's Day plants four years ago. I treated them all the same and they were planted side by side. Only one survived, and it took the third year b/f it really looked hardy. And this year - WOW!!! It is huge and beautiful! That plant spread about 4 feet now!!! So just hang in there. Either it will make it or it won't. As others said - this plant was forced into blooming early . . .

Old 06-18-2008, 12:36 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,034,614 times
Quote:
transplanted them into a sunny spot in the yard
Move them into shade and you will see a different plant!!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:18 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,898,798 times
I agree with what's been said about morning cool sun versus hot afternoon sun. I have two gift hydrangeas in big clay pots on my deck - one in a morning sun area the other in the hot afternoon sun area. The morning sun plant is full of blooms and growing spectacularly, the other has blooms but fewer and less foliage. It is in general, smaller.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:23 AM

602 posts, read 1,957,898 times
Thanks, y'all! I will try moving these poor things soon, I think. They're probably getting baked, where they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden