Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 02:10 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,982,430 times

Advertisements

I bought about a week ago, and still have it on the pot it came in,
a BIG BURLY LUPINE, which is supposed to be a "new variety." It was very healthy, until we began to get scorching days with high humidity. Now, it has dropped, and the leaves are scorched. The tag says it needs full sun. I will be planting it in my garden, as soon as the heat subsides. I have given it some water, but not enough to kill it, and I see that at night, she plumps up, but still is not the same way it was in the nursery. I notice that when I put it in the shade she does better, so I am beginning to wonder whether the tag is wrong and it prefers more shade. Thanking you in advance for any comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 02:21 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,385,280 times
I read that when a Lupine droops, the whole garden needs water. Mine are on the West side and get the hot afternoon sun...it's been very hot and dry here, so I give extra water when it "asks" for it and they are doing fine...had them in same spot for 4 or 5 years...hope that helps

Old 06-14-2008, 04:09 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,194,817 times
I how found, once planted, Lupine don't like to be fussed with too much. They don't like to be too wet. Mine get sun until about 2pm and then the house shades them. They do get a little wilted when it's really hot. Not sure what zone you're in, we're in zone 5 and we're close to 3000ft up, drier climate. As it heats up they will stop blooming. In the fall and sometimes spring, I find I have to be careful with hot days and cool nights.....as the plant can be prone to mildew and will need to be sprayed.

I love mine, they're absolutely beautiful and the fragrance the blooms kicks out is really sweet.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:09 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,683,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I bought about a week ago, and still have it on the pot it came in,
a BIG BURLY LUPINE, which is supposed to be a "new variety." It was very healthy, until we began to get scorching days with high humidity. Now, it has dropped, and the leaves are scorched. The tag says it needs full sun. I will be planting it in my garden, as soon as the heat subsides. I have given it some water, but not enough to kill it, and I see that at night, she plumps up, but still is not the same way it was in the nursery. I notice that when I put it in the shade she does better, so I am beginning to wonder whether the tag is wrong and it prefers more shade. Thanking you in advance for any comments.
We don't know where you are. Maine? Florida? In a cool climate lupine will be fine out in the open, in a hot climate they will be hard pressed to survive at all. Lupines like it cooler.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:45 PM

44,547 posts, read 61,242,694 times
You might try this site for information.
Lupine grows most any where. Depending on the season. In AZ here they grow wild here in late winter and spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden