Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 09:41 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,969,915 times

Advertisements

We have two trumpet vine plants on either side of a garden gate. One might have a little more sun than the other (the one that flowers prodigiously.) Is this why one plant flowers so well and the other doesn't flower at all? The plants are 3 years old and the flowering plant started blooming last summer. Is there anything to help the one to start blooming? This summer, the blooming one is totally filled with flowers and the other has NONE! Help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 01:17 PM

44,548 posts, read 61,249,428 times
How much sun is each plant getting, in hours.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:34 PM

The blooming one (at this time of year) gets sunlight from about 8 or 8:30 am (after the sun gets above the trees) until about 5:30 or 6 pm. The other one gets it from 8 am until probably about 4 pm. So the other does get more light, particularly hot afternoon sun.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:45 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,520,521 times
I would think both are getting enough sunlight. Do you do any pruning on either one ? I think mine does better when it is pruned early in the spring.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:07 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,683,742 times
Don't know about trumpet vine, but wisteria can be equally as unpredictable. One blooms and the other doesn't. Sometimes if wisteria is planted in a fertilized lawn area, the extra nitogen dose will cause a lot of vine growth and a lack of flowers.

Have you been putting fertilizer on/near your trumpet vine?

Old 06-15-2008, 05:07 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,107,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Don't know about trumpet vine, but wisteria can be equally as unpredictable. One blooms and the other doesn't. Sometimes if wisteria is planted in a fertilized lawn area, the extra nitogen dose will cause a lot of vine growth and a lack of flowers.

Have you been putting fertilizer on/near your trumpet vine?
From my experience, poor, but well drained soil is the best thing for trumpets and wisteria. I've tried making a nice mixture of sand, peat, and bark for my trumpets, they just sit and stare at me. The ones growing alongside the road where they get very little water, no fertilizer, and grow almost in rocks, HUGE!

Old 06-15-2008, 08:37 PM

44,548 posts, read 61,249,428 times
Your sun hours are ok. They only need a min of 6 hours. You either have a rootbound clay soil bound up root system, or nutients tied up in the clay. Worked in Gypsum will help loosen the soil
Any possibility of moles or gophers eating the roots?
If everything is normal, being equal, then I would suggest trying a fertilizer product called Bloom Plus, a fertilizer formulated for flowering plants. It has a high phosphorus content, the middle number being 55%, or one of the Miracle-Gro products with a high phosphorus number, at least 45% or more. Phosphorus basically does root and flower development in flowering plants. You'll find the numbers on the label usually at the bottom of the container. For example one may read 10-55-10. The first number is nitrogen, the second is phosphorus, and the last number is potassium (NPK).
If you follow the directions carefully, using the product about every two weeks with proper watering, you should get an abundance of flowers within a short period of time, say within 30 days or less.
Nitrogen, the first number gives you primarily growth, so you only need a low numbered fertilizer for that. Phosphorus gives you the large prize winning flowers that pros get all the time.
Rose lovers can use the high phosphorus ratio fertilizers also to increase their yield of flowers, better color of the flowers, and larger flowers up to double their size.
To keep your plants looking dark green, and healthy looking, add chelated iron periodically.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:31 PM

Thanks to all for your help. Nitram I will try your suggestions right away. I do not believe there are moles or gophers anywhere near that particular plant. THe non-flowing plant is closer to our house and the soil may very well be different (I don't think anything had been planted there in 50 years. I'm maxed out on my reps today but tomorrow, reps for all my trumpet vine doctors!! thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden