Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:05 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I BB gun will only sting a cat when hit and would be non-deadly. He would high tail it out of the area and after awhile not be back.

If I wanted to suggest injury or death I'd have recommended a pellet gun or out in the country a small shot gun.
I'm sorry but that is not true. One of my house cats got out of the house accidently. He was declawed in the front and castrated so he wasn't bothering anyone. My neighbor shot him with a bb gun and it lodged inside his hip. He came home carrying his back leg, crying and bleeding. Its an inhumane thing to do and I am a little surprised at your suggesting it.

In some places there are city ordinances against allowing even house cats to wander so I would check with your city. The fact that some of us enjoy the company of cats should not impact those that don't. My pets are indoors only and I would never dream of allowing them to wander and become a problem for other people.

I do hope if someone comes and picks them up, that they are taken to a no kill shelter because they could be killed before their owners even realize they are really missing.

For flat surfaces where their cats wander, you might try putting out double stick tape. BUT any of these measures are going to be a temporary measure. Cats are very independent animals and the only way to keep outdoor cats off our property would be to have a dog in your backyard, they would probably avoid you all the time then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Lindsey, I humbly withdraw my BB gun suggestion. One thing I've learned in life is never anger or doubt a true cat lover.

Please forgive me, I was totally wrong ( How's that for a married man)

Old 07-01-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Lindsey, I humbly withdraw my BB gun suggestion. One thing I've learned in life is never anger or doubt a true cat lover.

You have learned your lesson well grasshopper.

BUT seriously, I took my beloved Nigel to the Vet and he pulled a bb out of his hip. My Father had just passed away after a prolonged illness and if I had caught the person with the BB gun, I would have spent the night in jail. I was beside myself.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:48 AM

9,721 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Today, the cats are in their homes, perched on their windows sills, looking out.The party is over. Expensive lesson for the owners, but when all else fails.......use logic.

BTW, I really don't think that I MUST get a dog, just to defend my back yard from cats. I don't want any animals, and have no time to care for them. Back in my farm days, we had all kinds of animals. Been there, done that.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:39 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
Glad the problem is solved! There's nothing worse than dealing with someone else's mindlessness.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:08 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:

I want to add to Lindsey's comment - 20 years ago our dog was shot - in our yard - and the bb hit his eye. Fortunately, we were able to save the eye and he went on to become a precision obedience dog, going to his CD and taking highest score in trial at several really big shows. I think this beloved Dobie was one of best pets we ever had.

Rakin, you are to be commended for your humble attitude and readiness to adopt a new view on BBs.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:46 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,297 times
Excellent news. Thank you for taking the level-headed, kind, and effective option to solve the problem. GREAT JOB!!! Making the owners pay to spring usually lasts a while, but do not be surprised to see them out again!

As to the suggestion of bb's etc., apology or not, really nice man, really kind.

And to those whom have had their pets injured by such selfishness and cruelty, I am so sorry you had to go through that and I THANKYOU for being good pet parents and taking excellent care of the furry ones!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
Excellent news. Thank you for taking the level-headed, kind, and effective option to solve the problem. GREAT JOB!!! Making the owners pay to spring usually lasts a while, but do not be surprised to see them out again!

As to the suggestion of bb's etc., apology or not, really nice man, really kind.

And to those whom have had their pets injured by such selfishness and cruelty, I am so sorry you had to go through that and I THANKYOU for being good pet parents and taking excellent care of the furry ones!

I have always been careful to keep my pets inside or if dogs on a leash but when my Nigel got shot, that made me even more careful. I have one cat now that is the Great Houdini in a cat suit. His name is Salem and you can't leave the door open for a second or he will sneak out. I am SO careful with him because of this. He has gotten out a couple times and my daughter was beside herself until he came home.

People assume often that cats that are outside are strays and running them over or shooting at them is fine. I am so thankful that I have never been put in the position to catch someone harming my pets, I would have LOST IT.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:58 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
I HATE cats, but even more, I hate when owners allow them to roam everywhere. It's so incredibly rude. We even had one get in my husband's car a few years ago and pee!!! KEEP YOUR ANIMALS UNDER CONTROL, sheesh. (sorry, I really have a problem w/ this, not yelling at anyone here)

Old 07-02-2008, 10:02 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

The fact that some of us enjoy the company of cats should not impact those that don't. My pets are indoors only and I would never dream of allowing them to wander and become a problem for other people.

I wish all cat owners (esp my mother in law) were like you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden