Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:13 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times

Advertisements

I never liked them, but my main experience was with metal ones that were loud. My mom used to buy them for me despite me telling her I didn't like them, and I'd just give them away.

I recently bought some capiz shell ones when we were at the beach, because they were pretty and inexpensive. I like the sound a lot better. It's very delicate and soft.

I got plain off-white but they come in all kinds of patterns and colors, like this:

http://zibbyzabby.com/catalog/images/WCKU011A%20L.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 08:46 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
This is what I ended up finding in a local store. I wanted to hear what it sounded like. If I get annoyed by them, I can return it.

Gentle Spirits™ by Majesty Bells®

Old 07-03-2008, 07:15 AM

301 posts, read 1,546,490 times
I really enjoy wind chimes.I have a large bamboo on the rear patio.Looking to ad more.For me its very commoning.There is a store in Old Town in Orlanda that has a large selection.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:49 PM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
I think inflicting your chimes (noise) on others is unfair and inconsiderate. The only exception I make are those heavy metal pyramid shaped ones that have the tone of harbor gongs or bells. They usually are in a bronze or iron and look natural and the tone is deep and nostalgic like a fog horn ...... they also are quite heavy and don't clatter in every little breeze. Buoy Bell Wind Chimes, Maine, Pemaquid, Kennebunk But if you live near other people....they may not appreciate them just because I do.

I really dislike the old fashion glass ones with an oriental motiff. Shells clatter and only the big bamboo have a mellow tone.....most wind chimes should be indoors where they will only bother or delight you.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:26 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I think inflicting your chimes (noise) on others is unfair and inconsiderate. The only exception I make are those heavy metal pyramid shaped ones that have the tone of harbor gongs or bells. They usually are in a bronze or iron and look natural and the tone is deep and nostalgic like a fog horn ...... they also are quite heavy and don't clatter in every little breeze. Buoy Bell Wind Chimes, Maine, Pemaquid, Kennebunk But if you live near other people....they may not appreciate them just because I do.

I really dislike the old fashion glass ones with an oriental motiff. Shells clatter and only the big bamboo have a mellow tone.....most wind chimes should be indoors where they will only bother or delight you.

I agree that they can be annoying. I have one set and the sound is soft... they are not "high volume". I cannot hear them from next door.

But regarding what you just recently said.... there's no wind indoors...?

Last edited by fierce_flawless; 07-03-2008 at 03:41 PM..

Old 07-03-2008, 03:40 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Do they bother the neighbors, in your experience?
Yes, yes, yes! I used to have a neighbor who had wind chimes. They drove me nuts! I did the happy dance for a very long time when she moved.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:43 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I agree that they can be annoying. I have one set and the sound is soft... they are not "high volume". I cannot hear them from next door.

Hahahahaha! I beg to differ. When the weather is nice and the windows are open there is wind indoors, as there is when you turn on a fan. My mother in law has wind chimes hanging in her guest room because she likes the look, but everyone who has ever stayed in that room hates them. Miserable woman will not turn on the A/C unless it is between June 1 and Sept. 30, regardless of the weather so the fan is often on........

Old 07-03-2008, 04:35 PM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post

Many rooms in my house have nice cross ventilation. We don't have or want air conditioning and keep most of the windows and doors open much of the summer. I don't want to be in a house with a wind chime....but there is enough breeze.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:45 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
There is no wind today. I hung up the chimes last night. Kind of ironic. Prior to today, it has been very windy.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Hang one up close to my house. If it keeps me awake or is loud enough to be annoying it will mysteriously disappear.

You don't respect me, I don't respect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden