U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:08 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,848,079 times

Advertisements

Please help...I am trying to get our back pool area looking better
this week by myself(husband is working 10 hr days)
It is a mess ; dried out deck wood , broken step to deck, paver tiles
need sealer,planting areas overrun with weeds, well ...you get the picture.

We need a darker colored mulch for planting beds and some are
near the pool so I need something that will stay put as much as possible.
I like the dark mulches because I just think they look good as a contrast
to the plants. Cost is an issue because we are on a shoestring budget.

Any ideas???

Today the kids and I sprayed weeds & cleared the deck
Tomorrow we will power wash deck and use 2in1 tx to prep it for
stain/sealer and hopefully start adding mulch to a few planting beds
that are ready for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:02 AM

2,956 posts, read 11,046,069 times
My favorite is shredded bark mulch. Usually made from some kind of cedar so it's a reddish color that goes grey with exposure. It stays put where you lay it and doesn't wash away with rain.

I don't like the bark mulch with big wood chips. It gets everywhere and is a haven for pill bugs.

But are you sure mulch around the pool area is a good idea? No matter what kind of mulch you use eventually it scatters. It'll be in the pool where you don't want mulch.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:21 AM

2,377 posts, read 4,751,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Please help...I am trying to get our back pool area looking better
this week by myself(husband is working 10 hr days)
It is a mess ; dried out deck wood , broken step to deck, paver tiles
need sealer,planting areas overrun with weeds, well ...you get the picture.

We need a darker colored mulch for planting beds and some are
near the pool so I need something that will stay put as much as possible.
I like the dark mulches because I just think they look good as a contrast
to the plants. Cost is an issue because we are on a shoestring budget.

Any ideas???

Today the kids and I sprayed weeds & cleared the deck
Tomorrow we will power wash deck and use 2in1 tx to prep it for
stain/sealer and hopefully start adding mulch to a few planting beds
that are ready for it.
I don't use mulch anymore because it's too$$$.. But I do like the look of the black....But...about your deck.....I mention this because we have just stripped, power washed sanded etc. our deck....WAIT.. Wait till it is absolutly dry before you paint or stain!!! Last time we PW'd it we did not wait long enough.. so had to do that miserable job again... You have to wait untill a tsp of water sinks right in before paint/stain... we have been having a very wet summer so far, so might have to wait till fall...
Send a pic of before and after!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
I don't use mulch anymore because it's too$$$.. But I do like the look of the black....But...about your deck.....I mention this because we have just stripped, power washed sanded etc. our deck....WAIT.. Wait till it is absolutly dry before you paint or stain!!! Last time we PW'd it we did not wait long enough.. so had to do that miserable job again... You have to wait untill a tsp of water sinks right in before paint/stain... we have been having a very wet summer so far, so might have to wait till fall...
Send a pic of before and after!!!
Oh ..thanks for the input.....
I thought if we power washed and used the mildew tx we could
just let it dry a day or two and then stain it. I thought just the surface
had to be dry???

I will try to do the pictures..

I like the look of the shredded hardwood mulch but I thought it
would stay in the bed and not get everywhere. We used white pebbles
3 years ago and they are the worst!! If you pull a weed you have dirt above the pebbles and they get between the paver tiles and hurt to step on.

Azora has a good point about it ending up in the pool but it would
look great. Now I am trying to think of a edging border that would keep
it in the planting bed. Perhaps I could do the small trench that slants down toward the edge the way they do between lawns and beds ,so the mulch falls into that???

Old 07-03-2008, 10:51 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,449,963 times
The local landfill here provides mulch free of charge to county residents. You may want to check on that. It's not the greatest stuff, but it's free if you have a way to haul it.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:57 PM

81 posts, read 275,420 times
Also check craigslists under free for people who just had a tree shredded - if you have the means to haul it. It is not pretty but on a shoestring budget it will provide a base and then you do not have to spend as much on the good stuff you want.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
The local landfill here provides mulch free of charge to county residents. You may want to check on that. It's not the greatest stuff, but it's free if you have a way to haul it.
will check that!! Thanks

Old 07-03-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv289 View Post
Also check craigslists under free for people who just had a tree shredded - if you have the means to haul it. It is not pretty but on a shoestring budget it will provide a base and then you do not have to spend as much on the good stuff you want.
We know a tree removal guy and he brings free loads of tree chips when we ask .
I was planning to do exactly what you said and put down newspaper,
ugly free wood chips, and top it with nice looking mulch.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:45 PM

38,426 posts, read 18,188,727 times
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I dont know about it for a mulch...but Starbucks saves coffee grounds for compost....??????? How big is your area? They might not weigh enough to stay in place.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:04 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,417,727 times
...just wanted to add to this thread...if you decide to use recycled wood chips for mulch from a local landfill..make sure it has been seasoned..or allowed to dry...
...if you get freshly processed material..there may be alot of "green" wood still in it...and when applied, it can steal nitrogen out of the soil..as it breaks down and stunt or kill plants in the bed
also..remember that because it comes from many sources..and isn't processed like refined mulch,..it can contain seeds from weedy or invasive plant species..
if you decide to use wood chips..and depending on your location,look for fine grade wood chips/bark....we use a fine redwood bark here in san jose and it looks really nice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden