U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-06-2008, 06:47 AM

13,400 posts, read 20,566,700 times
Default When to pick peaches?

I have a peach tree that is full of peaches, but I don't know when to pick or how to tell they are ready to pick. Some are still small, but others are nice size but not as big as the peaches in the stores.

I know I picked a few too early as they were still green at the top.

Post link not copyrighted material
Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-06-2008, 06:57 AM

131,695 posts, read 39,606,220 times
Did you thin them down? If not that may be the cause of them not being as large as those you see in stores. If you are near a county agent's office you may get some good advice there. Some years back when I had peaches in the midwest I harvested over about a 2 week time period. From what I've researched lately on peaches it is usually important to thin them in order to get them to size up. I waited until some began to drop before I started harvest. Also if you know the variety that will help in finding out if they are a normally early, mid, or late season peach. HTH

Unread 07-06-2008, 02:53 PM

I was just so happy to have fruit after the late freeze I didn't thin them down, but I can tell now, I should have as the branches are bent over. The trees are 2 yo so they aren't that big.

Thanks for the info. I will try to find out what kind they are and check online. I didn't know if there was a way to tell they were ready.

Unread 07-06-2008, 03:26 PM

25,714 posts, read 17,046,706 times
This site may help you: How can I tell if a peach is ripe?

We usually tell by one of two ways. Starting to feel soft, or taste one and if it's hard and doesn't taste quite right, then wait about 5-7 more days and taste again. Outter peaches ripen quicker than inner ones do. Once you find one that's ripes, look for others of similiar shape and size that are equal to the ripe one.

Unread 07-07-2008, 09:08 AM

Guess, I was a little too impatient. I checked a few this morning and they were starting to get soft, so I picked them. They are bigger than several I picked too early.

Unread 07-07-2008, 09:15 AM

131,695 posts, read 39,606,220 times
Thumbs up Peaches & Cream

Please enjoy some peaches and cream for me. After your post I think I've got a head start at raising peaches again. Planting a dozen or so trees is at the top of my agenda once settled down back in the land of orchards.

Unread 07-07-2008, 11:30 PM

12,531 posts, read 10,784,395 times
We just discovered peach yogurt and it is wonderful.
Want to plant some peach trees but unsure about them are they easy to grow do you need to spray them with that oil?

Unread 07-03-2010, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 44,011 times
I have 2 peach trees and had about 200 or more peaches. However, the squirrels keep taking a bite and then throw them to the ground. The few that are left are close to the ground, and I assume the squirrels are afraid of our dogs. If I pick them green, will they ripen? After 3 years of drought and last year's hard freeze, this is my first year to harvest any peaches and its discouraging. Any advice?

Unread 07-04-2010, 08:39 AM

433 posts, read 538,114 times
The birds have a knack for knowing when peaches are ripe. When I see them enjoying them I know that some of them are. You can pick them slightly green but they will not have the flavor of a tree ripened peach. My tree was so loaded this year that I had a branch break. I took the peaches off and got a half of a laundry basket of peaches. Then I cut the branch in two and used it to support a couple of other branches that looked too heavy. Next year I will thin blossoms and possibly fruit. I still have a bunch to pick.
The peach my hubby got from Gurneys and I don't think I have had a better tasting one!!!!! It was a donut style peach and when it is ripe it is sooo juicy. It grew fast!!! It was a stick about 5 feet tall when we got it a little over four years ago and it is between 15 and 20 feet tall now.

Unread 05-16-2011, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 39,219 times
any good idea on scaring off squirrels? I have a dog that does a lot of chasing them off but I still figure I lose half my crop to the little beggars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden