U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:34 AM

28,624 posts, read 21,839,657 times

Advertisements

All the yuccas have sharp pointed tips. And yes they can hurt, so be careful not to back into one of them. Like a dirty nail, if you break skin, you can be susceptible to tetanus if you have not been immunized with a tetnaus shot.
Steve-0's yucca is definitely not a alifoilia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 01:45 PM

19,697 posts, read 51,392,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
All the yuccas have sharp pointed tips. And yes they can hurt, so be careful not to back into one of them. Like a dirty nail, if you break skin, you can be susceptible to tetanus if you have not been immunized with a tetnaus shot.
Steve-0's yucca is definitely not a alifoilia.
I agree, not even close.

Can Yucca really give you tetanus?

Old 07-15-2008, 06:11 PM

Yes it can, if it has dirty filthy thorns and picks up the virus for tetanus just like dirty nails. An infected animal touching it can spread it also. Horse manure is widely known as a tetanus carrier.

From a Tetanus site: Tetanus, also sometimes called “lockjaw”, is caused by a toxin produced by a bacteria called Clostridium tetani. C. tetani is found all over, including soil, human waste, manure and anything lying on the ground.

The chances of getting tetanus is very small, but precautions need to be taken, as my doctor informed me, and get a tetanus shot every 10 years.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:50 PM

Alright. Ive been keeping a sharp eye out for Yucca around here and Im seeing TONS! Id love to plant some but, doggone it, I cant ID any. lol

These all look different to me. HELP!!!!

Smaller, thinner needles with bloom:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee208/illinoisnative/pics004.jpg (broken link)

Thicker needles w/o bloom:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee208/illinoisnative/pics006.jpg (broken link)

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee208/illinoisnative/pics008.jpg (broken link)

Thicker needles w/ bloom:

Old 07-19-2008, 07:43 PM

There are 2 yuccas that can grow naturally in your area of zones 5-6. One is the Yucca recurvifolia(Pendula) and the other is the Yucca flaccida(Adams needle). Both have closely related similarities with their leaves, growing patterns and they also have the same flower stalk.
Some of your earlier pics look like the recurvifolia, the last picture of your latest post looks similiar to the flaccida.
Your best bet would be to take your photos and even a fresh leaf to either your AG extension Svc or your local Botanical garden for exact identification.
If you do take a leaf, use gloves as the yuccas have sharp serrated edges and can severely cut your hands. Grab a leaf (with glove) and pull down hard and it will peel off.
I'm going to be in Chicago in about 4 weeks. If time allows, and I can get a close up first hand look, I can identify the plant for you then. Sometimes pics are hard to determine exactly, though most of your large close-ups ar quite good.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:03 PM

Thanks again!

Where abouts in Chicagoland are you going to be?

Old 07-20-2008, 10:17 PM

We're spending a day with some friends at a suburb called Libertyville just south of Chicago. You probably know it. It's a stopover for one day on our way to Niagara Falls.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
We're spending a day with some friends at a suburb called Libertyville just south of Chicago. You probably know it. It's a stopover for one day on our way to Niagara Falls.
Yep, I know where Libertyville is, but thats way too far out of the way from where I find the Yuccas. Ill try and get some close up pics of the needles, thats what you need, correct?

Old 07-21-2008, 07:09 PM

The needles look alike on many yuccas. The whole leaf may help. Ideally seeing the plant in person is most desirable. It has to be one of the two mentioned before as they are almost identical in color, style, flowers, growth patterns. It's like having twins, hard to tell apart sometimes.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
The needles look alike on many yuccas. The whole leaf may help. Ideally seeing the plant in person is most desirable. It has to be one of the two mentioned before as they are almost identical in color, style, flowers, growth patterns. It's like having twins, hard to tell apart sometimes.
Nitram, I passed by the Yucca again today and grabbed a pic for you, does this help at all?
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/envenomate/closeuppicofYuccaspines.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden