U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 6,878 times

Advertisements

This is the first time I have planted corn, my kids and I just planted them in a big barrel that we have as an experiment. It is working cause we have silk growing!! I went out there this morning and saw 2 pincher bugs in my corn. Will they hurt my corn and if so what should I do to get rid of them?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,502,098 times
I've heard that putting mineral oil on the silk sticking out of the ends of the ears of corn helps keep the pests out. I'm not sure what pincher bugs are but I'm guessing you mean earwigs. I'm not sure if they eat the corn or just live in the layers of the husks.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 6,878 times
Thank you for the advice! I will try mineral oil.Yes I meant earwigs, sorry, have always called them pincher bugs, the unofficial term

Old 08-13-2009, 05:41 PM

16,851 posts, read 51,335,478 times
Maybe you can put a worm in the bottom of your bottle of corn likker, to make it like the Mescal worm in tequila? Waste not, want not.

Got the same problem on my corn this year. At least I have some corn. Last year the leaf hoppers got to it.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:55 PM

57 posts, read 150,656 times
Default Worms eating my corn!

I have read all your suggestions,and agree with all. But several things come to mind,one ,last year very few corn ear worms,this year, loaded
with corn ear worms,what was it that brought such a drastic change.
I use liquid sevin, in combination with oil, but must be applied at the correct timing with the pollination,and early mornings ,to keep from harming the bees.
Up north ,the corn ear worm does not survive the winter,it must migrate from warmer climates.this year all that rain,and cool weather ,pulled the
moths in the upper air stream .
all I have is a ribbon hanging from a stake, I look out the window,to see which direction the wind is coming from,the year,every time I looked at that ribbon ,the wind was coming from the south,

Old 07-09-2011, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,218 times
Ok here is the Question of the day!
I was just asked if the "OLD WISE TALE" is true or not. Any one know for sure? I can't find the answer ANYPLACE.
Here goes.... "Does having worms in your corn on the cob mean the corn is sweeter?" YES or NO
PLEASE.... I BEG YOU ALL, SOMEONE PUT AN ANSWER TO THIS!!!! ASAP

Old 07-09-2011, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,218 times
Smile Do worms make corn on cob sweeter

I hope someone got my message. If not let me know.
Thanks. I am new to all this.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:48 PM

1,482 posts, read 4,648,287 times
Before we moved we used to go to an organic farm stand for corn. They had a free service where they would cut the top of the corn off for you and you could then toss the tops to their chickens for disposal of the worms. It was hilarious to see these fat happy chickens come running when you tossed the tops. They really enjoyed those worms.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,385 times
Smile It's ok!

Those bugs that you found in your corn are fine! If you are grosed out by them just cut of the heard. Those bugs are corn dugs and they are not in the corn in the supermarket because that has had pesticides put on to them. Just take it as a sign that you are eating home grow organic corn. ( :*

Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 5,241 times
Default earworms/cornworms cure!

I found a way to prevent these nasty creatures from getting into your ears of corn.Simply
buy some powdered limestone(lime).Pellets will not work,it must be in dust form.Just apply
a handful on each corn silk,from the time the silks appear.It tricks the moth from laying its
eggs in the silk.I've been doing this the past 3 years,and not one earworm.I forgot to
apply this to a portion of my corn this year,and now I have some infected corn,for the
first time in 3 years...blahhh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden