U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:34 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,325,091 times

Advertisements

Neat instant solution!

When I was little I liked to put honey dabs on my fingers and try to feed bees and totally freak out my little brother. Never got stung and the bees would be on my finger sometimes two at a time. I felt like fairy godess of the bee kingdom or something. LOL
Ahh the simple pleasures of being a 6 year old.

Have you ever tried feeding them (bees) real honey water plates?
I just wonder if that makes them more crazy than cane sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 04:27 PM

2,275 posts, read 5,538,753 times
I don't feed the bees, but to keep them and the wasps off my hummingbird feeder, I tie a fabric softener sheet to the top. Works like a charm!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 PM

421 posts, read 2,741,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
I don't feed the bees, but to keep them and the wasps off my hummingbird feeder, I tie a fabric softener sheet to the top. Works like a charm!
Thats interesting! what is it about the sheets that keeps them away?

Old 07-30-2008, 05:00 AM

2,275 posts, read 5,538,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
I'm not sure, but I think it's the smell. The hummers don't smell them, but bees and wasps do.

Whatever the reason, it's worked for me this year.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:35 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,798,088 times
Thanks World Citizen!

I also had to move my feeders, as I had them where we could watch them best, but turned out it was in too hot of an area.

So now we don't get to watch them while sitting in the living room anymore, but hopefully I'm not killing them either.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:13 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,761,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Thanks World Citizen!

I also had to move my feeders, as I had them where we could watch them best, but turned out it was in too hot of an area.

So now we don't get to watch them while sitting in the living room anymore, but hopefully I'm not killing them either.
Me, too!

I'm going to be cleaning that feeder every couple of days during this hot weather.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:40 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,325,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
Dryer sheets are very toxic.
Bees are very senstive to enviromental toxins.
So clair has some smart bees buzzing around..but not around the toxic dryer sheet!

Very cool trick!
I wonder if that would work at say like a picnic or something?

toxins in dryer sheets:

"Here is a list of just some of the chemicals found in fabric softeners and dryer sheets:

Benzyl acetate: Linked to pancreatic cancer

Benzyl Alcohol: Upper respiratory tract irritant

Ethanol: On the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Hazardous Waste list and can cause central nervous system disorders

Limonene: Known carcinogen

A-Terpineol: Can cause respiratory problems, including fatal edema, and central nervous system damage

Ethyl Acetate: A narcotic on the EPA's Hazardous Waste list

Camphor: Causes central nervous system disorders

Chloroform: Neurotoxic, anesthetic and carcinogenic

Linalool: A narcotic that causes central nervous system disorders

Pentane: A chemical known to be harmful if inhaled "

The Toxic Danger of Fabric Softener and Dryer Sheets 2/8/05

PLease dont turn this sweet thread into if dryer sheets are toxic or not debate thread.
Im just sharing info.
I still use them at times myself.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:04 AM

183,827 posts, read 74,970,778 times
Early this morning I put out a water melon rind with some extra red left on it hoping to get some closeup photos of honey bees at work. As of now none to be seen. Upon farther inspection of the entire yard and all the flowers there are none anywhere. Only good sign is that there where numerious small what we call sweat bees. This is not a good sign for those with gardens that requires bees for pollination.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:59 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,761,272 times
I've seen a few bees feeding on clover blossoms in my yard this year. It is very scary.

I personally think it has to do with pesticides... They say they flew away and didn't return... so they must have died.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:05 PM

183,827 posts, read 74,970,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I've seen a few bees feeding on clover blossoms in my yard this year. It is very scary.

I personally think it has to do with pesticides... They say they flew away and didn't return... so they must have died.
Improperly applied pesticide will kill bees. I have gardened extensively using pesticide and never lacked for bees. It's all in knowing how and what to use. I read recently that bees are being attacked by a virus. I need to research that again. The pesticide usuage is way down around my parts as gardening is almost a lost art now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden