U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:07 PM

3,367 posts, read 9,864,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Improperly applied pesticide will kill bees. I have gardened extensively using pesticide and never lacked for bees. It's all in knowing how and what to use. I read recently that bees are being attacked by a virus. I need to research that again. The pesticide usuage is way down around my parts as gardening is almost a lost art now.
There is a growing fear around the world that honeybees are losing their ability to navigate due to a mix of problems (man-made) including pesticides. Some discussion went on here a while back....
The bees are disappearing - why?????

Denmark has reported that more than half of its bee colonies have died over the 2007/08 winter......http://www.aworldwithoutbees.com/

Last edited by southdown; 08-01-2008 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 05:08 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,761,272 times
I know. They say viruses -- and blame beekeepers for using too many antibiotics...

But there are so many systemic pesticides that are being used ... and then there was one new pesticide that, if I remember correctly, was nicotine based.... manufactured by Bayer that came out a couple of years ago.

Maybe I should take this to the other thread --- which I want to read all of -- about the bee's disappearance.

Thanks for posting that link!

Old 08-01-2008, 11:19 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,459,169 times
And a theory about cell phones causing intolerable sound waves to them. Sorry, if that was in one of the links, I don't click on links.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:11 PM

3,367 posts, read 9,864,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
And a theory about cell phones causing intolerable sound waves to them. Sorry, if that was in one of the links, I don't click on links.
The link mentioned just goes to another thread in this CD forum about bees vanishing
The bees are disappearing - why?????

Old 08-02-2008, 10:50 PM

522 posts, read 857,366 times
I took a part time job for awhile with a company that was marketing lawn care. In serious reference to the bees, the products that they were using were KILLING the BEES.
Not only that , but I recieved calls at work where the CHILDREN HAD LYMPHOMA and the pets too!!!!!
BE WARNED about injecting any chemicals, nomatter what these lawn "care" companies tell you!!!!
They stand to make alot of money and to give you an idea of just exactly how bad it is, the manager told me he would NEVER let his kids or pets play on it!!!!
Oh , and guess who manufactures this stuff????
The pharmecuetical companies do.
(by the way I am outta there too!! I would not ever take a job with a company doing that again!!!!) The sad part is that after researching the reported problems , I found even MORE evidence that it WAS killing the BEES.
Do you have any idea how serious that is???!!!!!
So anyway I was REALLY glad to see that you are feeding the bees..
I feel the same way that you do, they are not hurting me.
The only way a bee will usually bother is if you hit their nest, which, then again, so would we.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:18 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,761,272 times
Default This is true! ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen570 View Post
I took a part time job for awhile with a company that was marketing lawn care. In serious reference to the bees, the products that they were using were KILLING the BEES.
Not only that , but I recieved calls at work where the CHILDREN HAD LYMPHOMA and the pets too!!!!!
BE WARNED about injecting any chemicals, nomatter what these lawn "care" companies tell you!!!!
They stand to make alot of money and to give you an idea of just exactly how bad it is, the manager told me he would NEVER let his kids or pets play on it!!!!
Oh , and guess who manufactures this stuff????
The pharmecuetical companies do.
(by the way I am outta there too!! I would not ever take a job with a company doing that again!!!!) The sad part is that after researching the reported problems , I found even MORE evidence that it WAS killing the BEES.
Do you have any idea how serious that is???!!!!!
So anyway I was REALLY glad to see that you are feeding the bees..
I feel the same way that you do, they are not hurting me.
The only way a bee will usually bother is if you hit their nest, which, then again, so would we.
You spray poision on the lawn. Bees feed on clover and dandelion blooms. Why would anyone question that it would kill them? More than that, if they're injesting poision all of the time and that is what they use to make their honey - how could their honey not be contaminated with poison?

It's a serious problem - the bee problem is truly frightening.

You're right. It's all about money and denying the truth.

Humans and scientists apparently don't want to address what is obvious.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:18 AM

The honey produced by the bees is rarely contaminated to the point it would affect our health in any way. This is because bees inject a bit of enzyme which in fact is antibiotic in nature. And one bee will only make about one-twelfth of one teaspoon of honey in his entire life. It is not at all likely that the bees that make all the honey in any given jar available to consumers is from poisoned landscape. I think there are enough people who believe in organic gardening that this really isn't the huge problem it may have been in years gone by. I think something else is going on.

The key is that bees are disappearing. They are gone. No dead bodies lingering about to check. So until we find where they are disappearing to, everything about the colony collapse is really just speculation.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 AM

522 posts, read 857,366 times
Speculate you say? OK, well here is what I do know, I know that poison collectively kills in any form, especially in the form of chemicals. Chemicals and genetic modification..now if you search those 2 subjects you will surely find out what I am talking about. Incidently, do you know that 44 scientists have been killed since 2001?
And in almost all of those , there were odd circumstances??
Microbiologists in particular..the same ones handling all of these virals that are out.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen570 View Post
Speculate you say?
So you don't feed the bees, is that it?

Old 08-08-2008, 10:58 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,337,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
My sugar bill is through the roof - primarily because I make sugar water to keep my hummingbird feeders full.

At their request, I feed the bees. I found that bees were drawn to my hummingbird feeders and would sometimes swarm them to the point the hummingbirds couldn't access them. So I selected another area and put some sugar water in a very shallow dish for the bees. It was a hit. There are no hives here, but I am fond of feeding the bees now as they pose no threat to me. Somehow, it seems to me that they know I am a friend and am putting food out specifically for them. Not so long ago, if someone told me to walk into a swarm of bees I'd think they were nut cases. And yet, here I am today, very mobility challenged and hobbling among the bees to fill their plates with sugar water.

Does anyone else include the bees in their wildlife feeding stations?
Very inadvertently, we just started feeding bees 2 days ago. In the process of putting out our 3 hummingbird feeders brimming with sugar water, hubby sloshed two of them and got sugar water all over the outside of the feeders. He didn't clean off the outside before he put them up. Yesterday, I looked out at one of the feeders and saw that it was swarming with honey bees, then this morning, I saw that the other one was also swarming. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to put a shallow plate out just for the bees. Hubby used to be a beekeeper, so we have lots of flowers that are attractive to bees like bee balm and especially hyssop. Our kids are horrified that we're actually attrracting bees to our house, but hubby and I love seeing them. This year there seemed to be many, many more bees than last year. We're going to plant more hyssop so we have even more next year.

Thanks to all the bee feeders out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden