U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:34 AM

3,750 posts, read 10,201,548 times

Advertisements

Too funny -- my dad's family is from just outside of Pittsburgh - and for all the year's we've visited all I ever think is "Wow - Look at the Rose Of Sharon!". I was always impressed that in SW PA - its a TREE. In Michigan, where I grew up - more of a shrub.

However I did plant on in MI - and it got sizeable (8' tall, 5' wide) and after about 8 years - BABIES EVERYWHERE.

They were in Mulch, and easy to pull - but a PAIN!

In the lawn - I recommend using a weed killer. If the broadleaf weed killer doesn't work, you may need a brush killer (this won't kill grass - but targets woody plants).

Good luck! I enjoy looking at them when I'm in PA, and I might even plant them again in the future, but only in an area where I'd be willing to let them spread!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 11:45 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,464,772 times
I have one that I planted here 25 years ago. The amount of seedlings is no problem. I have transplanted some to other locations around our yard, and still have no problems. The few that are where I do not want them either get pulled or cut down.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:08 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,445,614 times
They're easy to pull if the ground is moist after a rain. If you want a chemical solution, use a broadleaf weed killer as suggested above. If you do use roundup, get a paint brush and paint the leaves instead of spraying. You can be more selective that way.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:21 PM

517 posts, read 2,240,715 times
I have a question about these. I have a bunch on one side of my property and find that they make a nice screen for privacy. I wanted to put them on the other side to hide a business that is behind the house.

How far from the fence should they be planted? It says they can grow up to 6 ft wide - does that mean circumference? Because the ones I have on the other side seem tall but thin. I was wondering if 2 1/2 to 3 feet from the fence would be far enough.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:37 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
If you're going to mow around the althea (and since you said "lawn", it seems that you are), I don't see what the problem is. Mowing will kill the seedlings.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:13 PM

9,037 posts, read 18,351,792 times
First, let me say I love rose of sharon!
Now having said that, I am rather frustrated . Between birds and wind, part of my (pebble) driveway has turned into a rose of sharon garden and because I did not pull them right away (had no one to give them to and I hate to destroy plants ) they are now really embedded in the ground and stones... So now I am faced with serious digging or excavating - let that be a warning to others dig and pull when they first appear, because those roots seem to go down deep!
Of course that's not the only thing that's now growing in my driveway

Old 09-03-2009, 08:14 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,992,915 times
I haven't had much problem with the seedlings - the mower seems to take care of spread. That and the fact that we don't usually get enough rain to promote any abundance. Those that do survive are going to be used around the property, in the woods where I have dappled sunlight and wherever else I might want to draw the hummingbirds. Unfortunately mine are only either the white/red or light purple...have seen a solid red growing here and want one of those.

Had a few unusual, hybrid Hibiscus back in South Florida, was bummed to have to leave those behind, what wasn't in the ground was given to a good friend.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:10 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,536,426 times
Pull them by hand...soak the roots in root solution...plant in containers...sell for $4-$6 a piece. Easy!

Old 09-06-2009, 12:25 AM

9,037 posts, read 18,351,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Pull them by hand...soak the roots in root solution...plant in containers...sell for $4-$6 a piece. Easy!
I have trouble giving them away, never mind selling them and I'm not talking about one foot seedlings either!

Old 09-09-2009, 12:52 PM

2,407 posts, read 5,150,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
I have a question about these. I have a bunch on one side of my property and find that they make a nice screen for privacy. I wanted to put them on the other side to hide a business that is behind the house.

How far from the fence should they be planted? It says they can grow up to 6 ft wide - does that mean circumference? Because the ones I have on the other side seem tall but thin. I was wondering if 2 1/2 to 3 feet from the fence would be far enough.

Ours are planted up against our fence about 12" (away from fence). We planted them 3-4 feet apart.They have been there 13 years. They are just now coming thru on the other side of the fence, no big deal, we just trim them. Our's are only about 4 feet wide at the thickest part of bush. We love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden