U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 12:54 PM

333 posts, read 878,867 times

Advertisements

So...I'm out cutting my grass yesterday...and noticed several teeeeeeeeny tiny little toads trying to hop out of my path!! I stopped the lawnmower for one little guy. I can't even believe that I picked the thing up (I haven't done that since I was a kid out at my Grandma's lake cottage!) but when I did I noticed he must have been bleeding from somewhere - because I had spots of blood on my my hand...

The next time around the lawn...I glanced down...and had run over a frog. Eeeeeeeew. His poor little leg was still moving, but he was on his back...and was "passed on" by the time I finished the lawn.

How on earth do you not run over these things when cutting your grass!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:29 AM

3,749 posts, read 10,181,835 times
Hmm... for one thing - cut it higher. 3" height should be enough to pass over the most of them. Of course there are going to be some casualties, you just can't help it. I worry about it myself - we have lots of toads/frogs in our new house. Our current status is to make as much commotion as possible to scare them away before we mow. Then we walk slowly (to give them escape time) and constantly keep our eyes open for movement in the grass. We've kept the body count low, but sometimes - there is nothing you can do..

(you could stop mowing and bring in sheep to graze, but that's going a little far!)

Old 07-24-2008, 06:07 PM

10,682 posts, read 18,991,370 times
I feel for you, don't have them here, but I'd feel terrible if they (the frogs) were being mowed down. I do agree w/not cutting our grass too short though, that'll help keep it from being burned. Just be happy you HAVE grass - this clay soil here only likes to grow rocks and weeds

Old 07-24-2008, 07:34 PM

4,721 posts, read 13,596,513 times
All I can say is what nice people to worry about the poor frogs. Alot of people wouldnt even care. Yes, raise the blades and go slowly, they will duck and cover.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:00 PM

21 posts, read 63,858 times
Default Toads near my garage

It's funny how this post exists, recently I started seeing toads near my garage. I've seen large ones and little ones. The other day I took my rottiweiler out and she started running after one. I tried pulling her back but it was too late, she picked it up in her mouth. I was completely disgusted but luckly she didn't bite down or eat that little toad. She spit it back out and left it alone. I was so glad she didn't like eating toads, I would have hated seeing toad remains in my dog's mouth. Anyhow, so the little toad lived to see another day but I'm sure it was traumatized.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:48 AM

38,400 posts, read 18,153,647 times
I read or saw on TV that toads have a natural defense from being eaten, the exude a bad tasting liquid that makes the animal spit them out just as your dog did. When I was a kid and we did pick up toads......we used to say they pee d on our hands....that may be the bitter taste that protects them; I am not sure about that.

But stop and look into a toads eye......it is more beautiful than the rarest jewel. A treat not to be missed.

I used to rake the lawn to warn the toads before mowing and I used a push mower so could be aware.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:21 AM

16,808 posts, read 51,165,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelizePlease View Post
So...I'm out cutting my grass yesterday...and noticed several teeeeeeeeny tiny little toads trying to hop out of my path!! I stopped the lawnmower for one little guy. I can't even believe that I picked the thing up (I haven't done that since I was a kid out at my Grandma's lake cottage!) but when I did I noticed he must have been bleeding from somewhere - because I had spots of blood on my my hand...

The next time around the lawn...I glanced down...and had run over a frog. Eeeeeeeew. His poor little leg was still moving, but he was on his back...and was "passed on" by the time I finished the lawn.

How on earth do you not run over these things when cutting your grass!?!?
You go around on your hands and knees, and when you find one, you softly reach down and pick it up, hold it to your ear, and if it goes "rIBBiT!" you give it a big wet kiss. Then you set it on the driveway and wait... If you are already married, you pack the frogs up and deliver them to your unwed friends. They'll thank you for them. Really.

However... If what you have are Bufo Toads (aka Cane Toads) you might want to send them to your witchy in-laws. They are HIGHLY toxic and the secretions from them can and does kill pets and kids.

Bufo Toad Poisoning

The reality is that it is nature out there folks, not tvland. Kermit is a muppet. Frogs and toads eat insects. When they reproduce, they have huge numbers of offspring, and 99% of those die within a short timespan. When only 98% or 97% are killed, there is a plague of them vying for the available food. Take a quick look around and move any you want to save, and then mow. If you nail one, do the humane thing and dispatch it quickly. If you live in Florida, learn how to recognize the Bufos and using suitable precautions, kill them to protect everything else, including little kids.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:34 PM

26,804 posts, read 38,052,325 times
Get some heavy cloth, or perhaps a piece of rubber - something flexible. Cut a piece long enough to fit across your mower and wide enough to drag just at the ground. Tape it to the front of your mower (duct tape!) and it will bump the frogs and scare them away before the blade gets to them. Using tape allows you to easily remove it when the frogs are gone. Keep it for next year just in case!

Old 04-18-2009, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 8,982 times
I ran over a frog with the lawn mower today didnt even realise they were in the grass, just felt something splash on my face then looked down at half a frog with its gutts hanging out then out hopped his friend, felt well bad
http://www.naturephoto-cz.com/photos...-frog-9282.jpg

Old 04-22-2009, 03:22 AM

18,080 posts, read 16,405,889 times
I've noticed many of them in early summer. Our neighbor has a small pond he put in and I think they must lay eggs around it and then move on after they get their land legs. So we watch when we mow and pick them up and put them in the garden and hope they stay put. Last year we had a big fat toad that liked our back porch step and would sit there all night. Our dog would always look to see if it was there before she'd step off, she didn't like it.
I've seen tiny praying mantids too in the grass and relocated them.
I've been listening to hear the spring peepers but haven't heard them yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden