U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 12:51 PM

38,693 posts, read 45,074,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
So simlply leaving them by a window where theyre not in direct sunlight for 6-8 hours a day is best"? Yes. You can determine if they are not getting sufficient light if the top of the cacti start to dramatically lighten up and start to pinhead (shrink). Then it needs more sunlight. Your 8 hours should be plenty.

Also, what about that "cochineal rot"? Is that normal? How can I curb it?
Cochineal is a scale. Generally if the plant is really infected, it's best to get rid of it. The scale is under the white coating. If you disturb the white coating, you should see some red coloring. That is the scale. Malathion is best, but take it outside to do the sterilazation as the fumes can harm you. Let it air out before returning inside. Sometimes rubbing alcohol works. It's very difficult to eradicate.
The following site should help you: Arizona Cactus Sales - Cochineal Tips (broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 06:22 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,976,638 times
Thanks, but dangit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugh. Keeping cacti is much harder than people realize. Ive killed 3-4 in the last few years and its getting frustrating.

Thanks for your help once again, Im just full of questions arent I?!?! lol

Old 08-03-2008, 07:50 PM

Hang in there, you'll survivie. Don't try to over parent your plants. You'd be surprised how cacti can survive on their own.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Hang in there, you'll survivie. Don't try to over parent your plants. You'd be surprised how cacti can survive on their own.
Thats one of the reasons I enjoy keeping them.

Do they ever really need direct sunlight then? I move them all around the house at different times of the day just so they can get direct light, but you say that upsets them and is detrimental to their growth? I have them by a north-facing window, which never really gets direct sunlight. Is that ok? For all species?

Im so lost....

Old 08-04-2008, 03:32 PM

I thihk you're worrying too much. Cacti like to be left alone in one place where they get 6-8 hours of indirect or filtered sunlight. I believe you're confusing them You are going around in circles trying to please yourself and not the plants. You don't dig your trees up everyday and move them around, do you..LOL.
The cacti will tell you if they are not geting enough light by pinheading, that is shrinking of the head and turnong a lighter than normal color. In your area a SW exposure would probably be the best location. All of my potted cacti here in the West are getting either north or south exposure since the west side is extremely hot and sunny for the potted ones in this area.
My yard cacti get 24/7 exposure to the elements. Sun from sun-up to sun-down.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I thihk you're worrying too much. Cacti like to be left alone in one place where they get 6-8 hours of indirect or filtered sunlight. I believe you're confusing them You are going around in circles trying to please yourself and not the plants. You don't dig your trees up everyday and move them around, do you..LOL.
The cacti will tell you if they are not geting enough light by pinheading, that is shrinking of the head and turnong a lighter than normal color. In your area a SW exposure would probably be the best location. All of my potted cacti here in the West are getting either north or south exposure since the west side is extremely hot and sunny for the potted ones in this area.
My yard cacti get 24/7 exposure to the elements. Sun from sun-up to sun-down.
Hmmm, maybe the constant sun is the secret to their success? I just find it strange that cacti can survive with only indirect sunlight? Many of them are budding great and seem to be doing fine, but now I guess I am worried about moving them around too much? hahaha

Let me know if Im driving you nuts with all the questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden