U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 12:03 PM

2,765 posts, read 6,372,200 times

Advertisements

I have not had any problem with anything I've purchased from Harbor Freight. And that includes power tools. I pay a lot less than I would at the big box stores, and the tools get the job done. I might not have the big brand name on them, but I couldn't care less, as long as they work, and so far so good from Harbor Freight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 08:16 PM

23 posts, read 72,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
*sigh* I thought it might be too good to be true

My parents have bought 2 weed wackers from Home Depot that haven't even lasted a year each. Where did you get yours and what brand is it? Is it gas or electric?

I need to get rid of a lot of ivy on a steep hill. Thats where I'll be using it the most because I don't have any lawn to take care of...yipee
My DH just bought a sStihl gas week wacker from a locally owned farm and home supply store and is very happy with it. we looked at the big box stores and believe it or not, their Stihls are NOT the same quality. Don't know how they sell them but they do. I would pay the extra dollars and know that if you HAD to take it for repair or replacement, you can talk to the owner and probably get a reasonalble deal for the item. Just our two cents though.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,326 times
Default Harbor Freight framing air nailers

Are they any good? I need to attach 2x4's.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:12 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,498,951 times
For me the answer is easy, they are bad.
I will not even go into the store.
99.9% of all the goods sold there are made in china.
You get what you pay for, cheep, cheep, cheep
Pay a little more and get some tools that will last years, if you wish to actually save a buck or two, buy quality.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:16 AM

32,103 posts, read 39,155,933 times
I have a couple things from Harbor Freight, an electric chipper and a 10T hydraulic log splitter. The chipper is several years old (9 or 10) and performs well. The only complaint I have is having to take the blades off and sharpen them, which is SOP for any make or origin for that type of machine. Also no complaints with the splitter, only had it for a few months.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:15 AM

2 posts, read 6,326 times
Thanks guys.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:36 PM

2,091 posts, read 5,952,445 times
You have to expect to be unimpressed. I love harbor freight. Its good for diy where you may need a tool for random jobs while working on home projects, but not full time commercially. I have never bought garden tools, I that I think they are all crap. Everywhere. They don't make garden tools for home use that wont break. I have gought dremel tips, a tumbler (I make jewelry and when using steel shot the metal is hardened and polished in a tumbler) and a hav a heart trap like another poster. The tumbler basics are good, but the belt is crap and breaks quickly, after doing research I found that an elastic band is a great replacement and ladt a hundred times longer then the belt, lol. But you get what you pay for, and I would not have high expectations, KNOW the differnece between steel and stainless steel before you buy, for example.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
Just think, every skyscraper and manufacturing plant and everything else made in China, that is almost everything you own was made by the types of tools you find at Harbor Freight.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 AM

1,610 posts, read 3,839,293 times
You can't beat the prices but you get what you pay for.For home owner and infrequent use it makes no sense for me to spend a lot and have had good service with many things I have bought there.If it were not for HF I would not own 1/2 of the tools I have so its been well worth my buying from them.MO

Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,498,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
You can't beat the prices but you get what you pay for.For home owner and infrequent use it makes no sense for me to spend a lot and have had good service with many things I have bought there.If it were not for HF I would not own 1/2 of the tools I have so its been well worth my buying from them.MO
And you wonder why we don't manufacture any more and the unemployment is rampant.

Buy American.
Do your part.

When you have to replace your tools 2 to one it's cheaper to buy quality domestic tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or