U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-29-2008, 01:28 PM

1,875 posts, read 4,860,058 times

Advertisements

I have a new birdfeeder, first time homeowner. It is surrounded by weeds. Crazy grass killing horizontal hidden weeds that you can't even grab to pull up. It's almost like a vine but instead of clinging to a brick wall they cling to the ground. Is if from the seed? Can I get bird seed that won't spout killer weeds? How do I get ride of my grass vines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 PM

2,273 posts, read 3,930,432 times
I don't know about the vines - it might help if you post a picture.

As for the bird seed, there are many varieties of "no waste"/shelled seeds. There's no guarantee that none will sprout, but it might help with the problem.

You could also create a small bed underneath the feeders with a border and some mulch. Maybe it will help?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:26 PM

5,512 posts, read 9,317,361 times
I don't know what the vine is either, but when we had a bird feeder up - we got a crazy amount of "stuff" growing under it. BTW, I've read that you shouldn't actually feed birds in summer, only when they don't have a reliable source of food (i.e., dead of winter, etc.)

Old 07-29-2008, 07:37 PM

1,168 posts, read 3,671,413 times
I feed gold finches thistle seed. So it's black seed on black mulch and have had no weeds. Now if the morning doves would stop tossing my mulch into the grass, i'd be a happy camper.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:10 PM

2,273 posts, read 3,930,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I don't know what the vine is either, but when we had a bird feeder up - we got a crazy amount of "stuff" growing under it. BTW, I've read that you shouldn't actually feed birds in summer, only when they don't have a reliable source of food (i.e., dead of winter, etc.)
I was curious about this, so I did some Googling. According to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, it's ok to feed the birds year-round.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 PM

17,827 posts, read 21,464,322 times
I "nuke" my birdseed before putting it out for the birds
I use one of those disposable glad containers 9 x 12 for about 4 or 5 mins
Since I buy it in a 40# bag it take time but a whole less time than trying to get up the weeds
I have noticed a huge decrease in stuff growing under the feeder

a few weeks ago I was out of birdseed and picked up a small bag at the grocery store
for some reason I didn't nuke the batch and had quite the weed mess under the feeders

I finally ended up spraying the area with roundup and covering the area with heavy weed block for 5 days to get rid of the weeds

Old 07-30-2008, 01:53 PM

1,875 posts, read 4,860,058 times
Thanks everyone! After searching some online sites, I believe it's Bermuda grass or something just like it. I also think there is some chickweed in with the bunch. I thought bermuda grass was just grass, but it grows along the ground in a vinelike structure accourding to some various sites.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:09 PM

19,340 posts, read 22,342,541 times
I remove everything down to dirt, place weed block over the area (overlap 12"), and cover it with gravel. Any weeds that come up are easily pulled because there is no dirt for the roots to grow into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden