U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 02:18 PM

2,550 posts, read 1,373,677 times

Advertisements

I saw my first female at the feeder yesterday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 07:48 AM

2,894 posts, read 1,282,469 times
My feeders have a lot of activity right now. Males and females, thank goodness. There is constant war going on at each feeder, sometimes involving 3 hummers at once. They have been emptying the 2 feeders every day. I saw a juvenile male and also an adult male which must have a color variation. His normally dark green feathers looked black, and his normally red-orange collar was more like a red-gold color.

Hummers are also worshipping at my purple Amistad salvia, which is now about 4 feet across. Of course, they can't share it. Even on a plant that large, if one is feeding, it divebombs anyone else trying to feed on it.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:55 AM

1,407 posts, read 564,583 times
Nice Lori!
Still only seeing three here. Two males and one female. Or maybe it's one male coming in from different directions. But I am seeing a good ten monarchs everyday.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:19 AM

8,745 posts, read 9,692,090 times
I'm refilling both my feeders daily, swarms of hummingbirds which are really fun to watch zoom around.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Nice Lori!
Still only seeing three here. Two males and one female. Or maybe it's one male coming in from different directions. But I am seeing a good ten monarchs everyday.
I don't know where they came from, but all of a sudden we have a whole bunch of hummers. Fighting and defending their territory non-stop, of course. They are loving our zinnias, phlox and salvia. AND our feeders.

I have only seen a few monarchs all summer.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:12 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,838,215 times
My daily feeder refills are now every other day. I finally had a chance to observe them the past few mornings and noticed that the feeders on the deck that also has potted flowers are visited by females and juveniles. They really love the coral bells and agastache (3 varieties). I've only seen males at the feeders on the other deck. I thought that was interesting.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:19 PM

1,407 posts, read 564,583 times
I am down to one feeder, and even at that they are not coming close to emptying it. The second one I removed the top, and now fill it with just water. The male gold finches love to drink from it, while the females prefer drinking from the birdbath.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I am down to one feeder, and even at that they are not coming close to emptying it. The second one I removed the top, and now fill it with just water. The male gold finches love to drink from it, while the females prefer drinking from the birdbath.
We have male goldfinches that love to drink from the ant trap (filled with water) in the Hummzingers! Somehow, they get on the metal pole in the middle of the feeder, hang upside down and take a drink. It is a riot to watch them.

Speaking of goldfinches, I saw a male shredding a zinnia today. Good thing I love the goldfinches.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:44 PM

Still having nonstop war at my 2 feeders. Males and females. We had 4 at once yesterday, all divebombing each other.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:13 PM

3,651 posts, read 4,759,923 times
Haven't been on this thread in a while, summer gardening happens

Since last post, the little hummer that may have been sick never came again Good news, I have more activity than last year, but I wouldn't call it a huge amount even though I have 12 feeders out. I haven't recognized any birds from last year.

I've only gotten to know the markings of a few of them, which I name once I can recognize them, but some of them are just so fast I can barely keep my eye on them.

Ants and honey bees have been an issue, the bees more so this year than ever. There must be a hive nearby, one day we couldn't get through the front door, there were hundreds easily.

Ants...I tried some chalk, but that washed off as soon as it rained, but it did help. Then I put some double stick tape on the outside of the hooks, but it isn't weatherproof. I may get some weather-proof dst, they have it, and I wonder if it would help. The last thing I tried, which has really helped a lot is putting sprigs of fresh mint between the hook and the pole it hangs on. I hardly had any ants this past week when I tried this. I changed out the nectar today and put new mint-I don't use it for anything else, so this puts it to good use

Has anyone tried the Fortress Natural Ant Repellent??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden