U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 08:49 AM
JRR

3,123 posts, read 1,891,906 times

Advertisements

Went out last evening to bring in the feeder to clean it. As soon as I got out to it, the diving at me started. There is a male who has claimed it as his own personal place. I stood there while he buzzed all around me. Then suddenly he just hovered at about arm's length, right in front of my face. I'm no expert on hummingbirds, but I swear he was glaring at me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 09:18 AM

2,189 posts, read 986,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Went out last evening to bring in the feeder to clean it. As soon as I got out to it, the diving at me started. There is a male who has claimed it as his own personal place. I stood there while he buzzed all around me. Then suddenly he just hovered at about arm's length, right in front of my face. I'm no expert on hummingbirds, but I swear he was glaring at me!
HA, how true JRR!
Cute female with non scary eyes.

Then a male with, I'll stare you down eyes.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:33 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,131,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I am seeing far fewer males the last couple of days. It is mostly females fighting over the feeders, although I do see some males. I wonder if a bunch of the males have already left for their winter habitat? Males are always the first to arrive and the first to leave. By mid-September, I usually see very few males, while the females hang on a couple more weeks. I have seen some juveniles, which is reassuring.
Ahhh, stupid question, here, how do you tell the difference? Prettier colors, or what? Long pants, versus shorts?? Sorry, just a need to know....................

Old 08-29-2017, 09:36 AM

2,189 posts, read 986,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Ahhh, stupid question, here, how do you tell the difference? Prettier colors, or what? Long pants, versus shorts?? Sorry, just a need to know....................
See my photos above.
Notice one has a ring of color at the neckline. That's a male. No color=female.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:08 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,182,664 times
Quote:
Ahhh, stupid question, here, how do you tell the difference? Prettier colors, or what? Long pants, versus shorts??
LOL! You can also Google for images
http://animals.mom.me/tell-gender-hu...rds-10088.html

Old 08-30-2017, 10:57 AM

4,538 posts, read 5,826,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
At the beginning of the season, I smear a big glob of Vaseline on the shepherd's crook that holds each of my hummingbird feeders. It has worked well each year; the ants don't seem to be able to get by that stuff. The key is a "big glob". Yuck. I smear it at about 3-4 feet up, rather than closer to the ground.
How does the Vaseline hold up in the heat and rain of summer??? I would mind trying it on a lower level if a pole.

I was lucky enough to find a mostly used tube of the Nectar Fortress at a local thrift store for .20! It had enough to do all my shepherds hooks and a little more Definitely works. What a difference! I don't know how long it lasts between applications, haven't had rain since before applying.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:45 PM

3,270 posts, read 1,941,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
How does the Vaseline hold up in the heat and rain of summer??? I would mind trying it on a lower level if a pole.

I was lucky enough to find a mostly used tube of the Nectar Fortress at a local thrift store for .20! It had enough to do all my shepherds hooks and a little more Definitely works. What a difference! I don't know how long it lasts between applications, haven't had rain since before applying.
The rain does not bother the Vaseline. On very hot days, it definitely gets melty, but the whole thing is so gooey and unappetizing that the ants don't even try to get by it. I clean off the pole once I take down the feeders.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Not a stupid question. It was quite a while before I could tell them apart. As LI Center says, you can tell the males by the ring of red-orange color around their necks. Also, they tend to be smaller than the females and the feathers on their back tend to be darker, sometimes almost looking black. This time of year, we also get juveniles, and that can be even more confusing.

If that doesn't work, you can always wait to see which ones refuse to ask for directions when they migrate. Oh, that was bad, I know.

BTW, these are Ruby-Throated hummingbirds. If, miraculously, some other type of hummer showed up at my feeders, I would have to start from scratch trying to figure out which were male and which were female.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:52 PM

We had noticeably fewer hummers at our feeders today. Still quite a few, but definitely less. I guess some of them, especially the males who are now quite scarce, have left for their winter range. I will miss them. A lot.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:10 PM

3,462 posts, read 1,641,512 times
I've got the same feeder as LIcenter shows in his pics. I hung another, different feeder alongside it on the same shepherd's crook, and the little buggers absolutely refuse to feed from it! They prefer to fight over "their" feeder rather than go to another one that is less than a foot away. I have no idea what makes one the feeder of preference, but it definitely is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden