U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-07-2017, 10:37 PM
 
3,798 posts, read 1,400,620 times
Reputation: 4730

Advertisements

One on Monday, two on Friday. I will keep the feeder up a while...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2017, 11:18 PM
JRR
 
Location: Algood TN
2,198 posts, read 1,368,298 times
Reputation: 2694
Still have what appears to be one that has been here off and on all day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2017, 11:45 PM
 
Location: CA
1,459 posts, read 1,659,023 times
Reputation: 1500
I found out last winter, there are a few (couple of species, we are told) that stay here year-round. A friend sent me a picture of one at her feeder when it was snowing!! And another friend contacted the wildlife folks, who suggested keeping feeder up through the winter, because the few that stay have limited food options.

So last winter, I brought the one feeder in on the freezing nights, and put it out in the morning. We didn't see them frequently, but one or two at times, all winter. Don't know how they do it - we are in high desert (Bishop CA) but I was glad to help the cute little things through the winter.

During the season, I have 3 feeders, and I can see 4 or 5 at a time, then we counted up to 8 at a time when I think they were migrating through. Then down to just a couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2017, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
1,419 posts, read 399,631 times
Reputation: 1605
When I lived in the Seattle area there were always a few Anna's hummingbirds that stuck around during the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2017, 07:53 AM
 
Location: LI,NY zone 7a
1,537 posts, read 646,115 times
Reputation: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Back to the main topic, I took down my hummingbird feeder a few days ago. Hadn't seen one in a while.
There are still quite a few coming down from the north. I live on the eastern part Long Island, and they just finished passing through last week, while a friend of mine is still seeing them in Queens NY. Not gonna tell you what to do, but if it were me, I'd leave them up for another two weeks at minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2017, 09:22 AM
 
274 posts, read 106,477 times
Reputation: 643
I haven't seen one since last weekend but I'm gonna keep my two feeders up for another week or so, just in case. I miss seeing them fly around and fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2017, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
1,419 posts, read 399,631 times
Reputation: 1605
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
There are still quite a few coming down from the north. I live on the eastern part Long Island, and they just finished passing through last week, while a friend of mine is still seeing them in Queens NY. Not gonna tell you what to do, but if it were me, I'd leave them up for another two weeks at minimum.
Well, I had run out of my supply of hummingbird food and it seemed a bit pointless to buy a whole new thing just for another week or two of hummingbirds being here before they migrated south, so I figured it was good enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2017, 11:22 AM
 
Location: LI,NY zone 7a
1,537 posts, read 646,115 times
Reputation: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Well, I had run out of my supply of hummingbird food and it seemed a bit pointless to buy a whole new thing just for another week or two of hummingbirds being here before they migrated south, so I figured it was good enough.
That's cool, but in the future it's cheaper to make your own without that red dye they like to put in. Simply mix one part sugar to four parts of hot water. Chill and you're all set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2017, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
1,419 posts, read 399,631 times
Reputation: 1605
I actually use the stuff that's mostly just sugar anyway. No dyes in it. However, I don't keep my own sugar in my house so the only "sugar" I would ever buy is the stuff for the hummingbirds. Didn't seem worthwhile to buy a new packet of it for just 1 or 2 weeks' worth or use. Plus, as I said, I hadn't seen any around me for a week or two so I figured they were gone anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2017, 02:34 PM
 
Location: LI,NY zone 7a
1,537 posts, read 646,115 times
Reputation: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I actually use the stuff that's mostly just sugar anyway. No dyes in it. However, I don't keep my own sugar in my house so the only "sugar" I would ever buy is the stuff for the hummingbirds. Didn't seem worthwhile to buy a new packet of it for just 1 or 2 weeks' worth or use. Plus, as I said, I hadn't seen any around me for a week or two so I figured they were gone anyway.
No reason to explain. I throw stuff out there because this is a public board, and someone could use that info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top