U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 09:24 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,557,021 times

Advertisements

I saw that picture of the woman feeding them right out of her hand. She's taken the removable red plastic flowers from her feeder and had them sitting in her hand. I thought it was pretty neat!

In the spring, when you first put your feeder out, they almost swarm you in the beginning .. when you take it in to clean and re-fill and then outside again. They're just hovering inches from you. In fact, I've had them drinking from it while still holding the darn thing.

Just hope their aim is good! Half the time I'm expecting to get one of those little sharp pointy beaks in my head.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 09:36 AM

4,541 posts, read 11,750,837 times
Quote:
Just hope their aim is good! Half the time I'm expecting to get one of those little sharp pointy beaks in my head.
They're so precious and so tiny. I doubt that those little beaks would do much damage!

Quote:
In the spring, when you first put your feeder out, they almost swarm you in the beginning .. when you take it in to clean and re-fill and then outside again. They're just hovering inches from you. In fact, I've had them drinking from it while still holding the darn thing.
Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.

I actually got a second feeder because I'd heard that you should never let them come by and not have food. So, I've been taking in the feeder at night when I refill it and putting a new one up.

I'm going to start making them wait for me to fill it so I can have that experience... now that they're trained to come here.

They probably haven't completely associated me with the feeder, huh?

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-22-2008 at 10:29 AM..

Old 08-22-2008, 01:13 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,557,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
They're so precious and so tiny. I doubt that those little beaks would do much damage!

Hahahaha! Wait until next spring! They get quite territorial at first, and those tiny precious little hummers turn into mad, dive-bombing little beasts!

It turns into a war zone for awhile. Now it's all calmed down, lots of flowers everywhere and territories more of less sorted out.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, it's just that time of year. You'll see how much they adore you next spring!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Hahahaha! Wait until next spring! They get quite territorial at first, and those tiny precious little hummers turn into mad, dive-bombing little beasts!

It turns into a war zone for awhile. Now it's all calmed down, lots of flowers everywhere and territories more of less sorted out.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, it's just that time of year. You'll see how much they adore you next spring!
LOL

Evil hummingbirds!

Old 08-23-2008, 05:37 AM

7,136 posts, read 9,726,194 times
Good morning fellow hummingbird lovers! It's great to be able to read and share thoughts with all of you. My hummingbirds are zipping in and out to feed as I write this. They're just so amazing!

Old 08-23-2008, 06:23 AM

20,900 posts, read 18,966,653 times
Their battles are pretty amazing for sure! At times I am just sure they are going to kill each other but they seem to survive! You can hear their tiny beaks clicking as they attach each other! Even the smallest of the hummers seem to be quite capable at defending their territory. My cats just sit and watch in amazement. It's quite entertaining for them too! I have found my hummers to also be great weather forcasters...when it's going to rain they can empty a feeder in a very short time. It's like a frenzy out there. Once the rain subsides they slow down and go back to their normal feeding. I trust their forcasts way over the weather guys on tv!!

Old 08-23-2008, 06:52 AM

I actually have a single feeder because at first I was throwing away too much solution. I've been watching them dive bomb each other.

I think I need to put out my Flying Saucer Feeder... think that's what it's called... see how they behave.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:52 AM

Yep, that is what it is called...a Flying saucer feeder by Perky Pet. It might just do the trick!

Old 08-30-2008, 01:30 AM

6,170 posts, read 11,079,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I know what you mean, BlueWillowPlate...they are cool to watch at rest.

We have a feeder on the shady side of the screened porch, next to the door. The other day a hummer followed me onto the porch - he shot right past my head and I didn't notice until it was too late. I opened the door wide, and hoped he'd find his way out, but he kept hitting the screen until, exhausted, he sank to the floor. I picked him up gently to take him outside. He didn't struggle at all. He just sat in my open palm and didn't take off.
I tried to put him on the feeder, but he wasn't gripping the perch and I knew he would fall off. So, I sat on the porch steps, just waiting for him to rest a bit and to see what would happen. We sat there for about 5 minutes, and he suddenly took off! We watched each other all that time, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. He was irridescent green, so pretty! What tiny feathers! It was a rare treat.
My dad has a problem with his hummingbird feeder on the outside of the screen porch. About 2 ro 3 times a year a hummingbird will fly into the screen, get his beak stuck and die. Dad has heard them hit the screen and had pushed the beak back out and they fly away. But he can't be sitting there for all of them.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:31 AM

I'd move the feeder to a tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden