Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 07:49 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower54 View Post
This happens to me often...I try to refill the feeders asap..but if I don't get them in time, my hummers will drive at me. The other day I thought he was going to fly into my head, he was so close.
Oh boy. I have a fear of birds flying around my head, so that would not do me any good at all! You should see me cuss and scream when the jays start nesting in springtime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 07:24 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Oh boy. I have a fear of birds flying around my head, so that would not do me any good at all! You should see me cuss and scream when the jays start nesting in springtime.
LOL Did you see Hitchcock's The Birds as a child?

Blue Jays don't bother me at all because they are easily chased away, but the local Mockingbirds require threats from the garden hose to keep them at bay during mating and nesting season. We've unbuilt their nests several times as they keep coming back with more material to keep them from being too close to the house. They really do attack you and I've watched them drive off dogs, cats and squirrels who made the mistake of getting in too close! They don't like getting squirted with water so now just carrying the wand seems to make them stay back a bit. Before I did that they actually hit us on the head hard enough to knock off a hat!!

The hummers have never actually touched me even when fighting with other hummingbirds. One flew close to my face while investigating me when I was weeding in the garden, so close that I felt like I was going cross eyed to focus on it! He buzzed around my head a few times and then settled on the feeder. Another one did nearly the same thing in the spring and then settled on the flowers next to me and went up an down every stalk on the plant all the while chittering away. I love their little squeaky chirps. They are certainly entertaining!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Guy rescues baby hummingbird after it was attacked. [VIDEO]

A few years ago I rescued a hummer who banged around on our screened in porch and he finally got stuck in the screen. I took him outside and he rested in my hand for a few moments. His heart was pounding so hard I thought he would expire right in my hand. The kids were inside jumping up and down screaming "Mama caught a hummingbird!" After a while he flew away and we still talk about it today. The young man in his video is very patient and caring.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:48 PM

J&Em, I have the same issue with the mockingbirds. I'll remember the hose trick! They dive bomb my dog and the squirrels. When I see them, I stay under cover! LOL

Old 04-14-2013, 10:20 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
OK y'all any 2013 sightings of our little friends yet? I sold my farm so at a new location having to establish feeder sites. Previous owners never put any up so this will be fun to see how long after I put ours up when they hit it.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
OK y'all any 2013 sightings of our little friends yet? I sold my farm so at a new location having to establish feeder sites. Previous owners never put any up so this will be fun to see how long after I put ours up when they hit it.
Not yet. Saw on a map that they are around so I put one feeder up. Guess it's waiting game at this point, but I usually don't see them until much later.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Not yet. Saw on a map that they are around so I put one feeder up. Guess it's waiting game at this point, but I usually don't see them until much later.
It is end of April beginning of May back on the farm don't know this location.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
It is end of April beginning of May back on the farm don't know this location.
Well I can't wait to see them. On another note, I have zillions of swallowtail cats on my parsley and dill right now, so I'm having fun watching those in the meantime.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 AM

7,072 posts, read 4,818,181 times
I haven't seen any hummers yet, but a friend in Schriever, which is south of me, has seen a couple. I have my feeders all ready and hanging.

What is a swallowtail cat?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I haven't seen any hummers yet, but a friend in Schriever, which is south of me, has seen a couple. I have my feeders all ready and hanging.

What is a swallowtail cat?
They are caterpillars that turn into Swallowtail butterflies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden