U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2008, 04:23 AM
 
2,256 posts, read 3,287,786 times
Reputation: 723
Well this is as close as I'll get to seeing a humming bird over here in europe. Some people actually mistake the humming bird moth for an actual humming bird. The intro is actually kind of funny.

Hummingbirdmoth.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2008, 05:06 AM
 
Location: a nation in decline
9,943 posts, read 9,912,515 times
Reputation: 3728
I missed that about the danger of brown sugar. I know not to use honey. Thanks for mentioning that. I bookmarked the link, will have to do some more reading.

Rep'd you for that. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 06:35 AM
 
4,509 posts, read 7,810,152 times
Reputation: 2117
Default it makes sense....

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I missed that about the danger of brown sugar. I know not to use honey. Thanks for mentioning that. I bookmarked the link, will have to do some more reading.

Rep'd you for that. Thanks again.
I have two parrots. You have to be careful about feeding them spinach and other foods high in iron because it's bad for them.

When I saw that,... it made sense.

In the really hot weather it even says that the sugar solution can spoil in 2 days...

Good information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Status: "Count your Blessings" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Capitan, NM
7,064 posts, read 11,295,817 times
Reputation: 3323
Our hummingbirds come right up on the porch; about 40-50 of them at a time all day although they are starting to dwindle out now because the weather is getting cooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2008, 05:40 PM
 
4,509 posts, read 7,810,152 times
Reputation: 2117
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Our hummingbirds come right up on the porch; about 40-50 of them at a time all day although they are starting to dwindle out now because the weather is getting cooler.
I envy you having that many at a time.

That article said that before they migrate that they double their body size and to keep out your feeders until they're almost frozen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Former Michigander living in Durham, NC (SW Durham)
669 posts, read 1,504,601 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Our hummingbirds come right up on the porch; about 40-50 of them at a time all day although they are starting to dwindle out now because the weather is getting cooler.
I'm jealous, too! I have seen between 1/2 dozen and close to a dozen hummingbirds. Lately, however, I have a territorial little hummer that chases all the others off! Others come to the feeder, though, because there is no way one little hummer is emptying the feeder as quickly as it is emptying out these days!

I'll be keeping my feeders out until they for sure have migrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2008, 10:23 PM
 
79 posts, read 143,737 times
Reputation: 49
Page of hummingbirds

I LOVE hummingbirds too!!

One of the cutest things I've ever seen was a tiny hummingbird nest with newly hatched hummies all sardined into the nest, being fed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 07:33 AM
 
4,509 posts, read 7,810,152 times
Reputation: 2117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
I'm jealous, too! I have seen between 1/2 dozen and close to a dozen hummingbirds. Lately, however, I have a territorial little hummer that chases all the others off! Others come to the feeder, though, because there is no way one little hummer is emptying the feeder as quickly as it is emptying out these days!

I'll be keeping my feeders out until they for sure have migrated.
That link / article said that once they find your feeders that they spend a lot of time nearby in trees keeping an eye on it and protecting it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrinne View Post
Page of hummingbirds

I LOVE hummingbirds too!!

One of the cutest things I've ever seen was a tiny hummingbird nest with newly hatched hummies all sardined into the nest, being fed.
The link also said that their eggs are about the size of a pea and that they'll come back and re-use the same nest.
I hope you got a picture of your nest with the babies in it!

Last edited by World Citizen; 09-07-2008 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Status: "Count your Blessings" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Capitan, NM
7,064 posts, read 11,295,817 times
Reputation: 3323
I heard that they start to migrate here around the second week of October but it seems they're starting to do it now. It used to be around 50 during the daylight hours and fighting occured over being territorial. We sit our parrot outside and he likes to talk to them.
Now there's only about 20 hummers hanging around and it's not an all day thing. I'm going to miss them when they're gone for the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 07:44 AM
 
4,509 posts, read 7,810,152 times
Reputation: 2117
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I heard that they start to migrate here around the second week of October but it seems they're starting to do it now. It used to be around 50 during the daylight hours and fighting occured over being territorial. We sit our parrot outside and he likes to talk to them.
Now there's only about 20 hummers hanging around and it's not an all day thing. I'm going to miss them when they're gone for the winter.
New Mexico is known for it's hummingbird population.

We have unseasonably cooler weather here, too, because of the tropical storms.
They are really emptying the feeders lately -- so they're probably getting ready to leave me, too.

Last edited by World Citizen; 09-08-2008 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top