U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 11:05 AM

1,965 posts, read 4,051,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I've had sightings at my feeders 5 days in a row, and that's not even knowing what's going on at 14 different feeders, just a chance sighting while looking out my kitchen window.
WOW - 14 feeders! That is incredible. Thanks for posting the videos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 02:46 PM

17,987 posts, read 19,558,419 times
I've given up on them this year not only are the numbers down around the nation but my feeder can't compete with the 3 neighbors. Even though I was the only one to hang a feeder 5 years ago & bring them back to this neighborhood (I was told) 4 years ago. Even though I kept them with fresh nectar, natural & manmade, and clean perches & feeders. No hummers are coming to my patio this year.

sniffy sniff sniff

Old 07-06-2017, 06:50 PM

4,285 posts, read 5,438,129 times
I had 2 hummers come today, that I know of at least. One has me worried...it was a female, and she was all puffed up, breathing extremely quickly and had her head up in the air. She would stay there for quite a while, and then it looked like she would swallow, almost like she was swallowing a bug, to give you an idea of what it appeared like, then she took a drink and took off, or put her head back up, breathing hard again.

I Googled it, and these are signs it could be a sick bird. I wouldn't know what to do for this bird if something happens to it if I saw it. It was extremely hot out today, but the other bird that came, was just fine.

Any thoughts?? Has anyone seen this sort of behavior from a bird not sick?? I've never seen a hummer breath like this. I have video but don't see a way of posting it, but do have a picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
hummingbirds-20170706_170313.jpg  

Old 07-07-2017, 04:20 AM

1,956 posts, read 800,743 times
Quote:
I had 2 hummers come today, that I know of at least. One has me worried...it was a female, and she was all puffed up, breathing extremely quickly and had her head up in the air. She would stay there for quite a while, and then it looked like she would swallow, almost like she was swallowing a bug, to give you an idea of what it appeared like, then she took a drink and took off, or put her head back up, breathing hard again.

I Googled it, and these are signs it could be a sick bird. I wouldn't know what to do for this bird if something happens to it if I saw it. It was extremely hot out today, but the other bird that came, was just fine.

Any thoughts?? Has anyone seen this sort of behavior from a bird not sick?? I've never seen a hummer breath like this. I have video but don't see a way of posting it, but do have a picture attached.
From this site. Common Bird Parasites & Diseases
Sounds like it could be something like this. Or my first thought was, she may be stressed from nest mites.

Quote:
Aspergillosis
Aspergillosis is a fungal infection caused by the Aspergillus fungus, which can be found in damp or wet seed mixtures, in birds' nesting materials, or in landfills. Spores inhaled into the lungs and air sacs of birds eventually cause pneumonia and bronchitis. Sick birds experience labored breathing, weakness, and diarrhea, but will continue to take food at feeding stations until they die.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:13 AM

4,285 posts, read 5,438,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
From this site. Common Bird Parasites & Diseases
Sounds like it could be something like this. Or my first thought was, she may be stressed from nest mites.
thanks. Hope she will be ok. With the lack of hummers this year, and my love for these little air acrobats, I hate seeing this!

Old 07-07-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
thanks. Hope she will be ok. With the lack of hummers this year, and my love for these little air acrobats, I hate seeing this!
If you get a better photo, look for a slight ring (wear mark) at the front of her neck. This would indicate she is nesting, and likely nest mites. Fingers crossed for the little one.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:39 AM

Almost forgot! I finally saw my first female chowing down on my Bee Balm in the front yard on the 3rd of July. Then yesterday I had one at the feeders. She looked very tiny, so possibly this year's offspring.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:09 PM

3,166 posts, read 1,678,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Almost forgot! I finally saw my first female chowing down on my Bee Balm in the front yard on the 3rd of July. Then yesterday I had one at the feeders. She looked very tiny, so possibly this year's offspring.
Finally a female! Yay! I've seen a couple of them, but still mostly boys at my feeders. They must be very lonely boys. I did see one dining on my purple Amistad sage, which is getting quite large now.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:40 PM

1,965 posts, read 4,051,765 times
I've got to make another Costco run for sugar soon. The sweet little visitors have arrived in full force. Since Sunday night I've refilled all 4 feeders/16 cups.
We currently have 3 Rufous guarding the feeders. The others don't care. At noon they were buzzing them like it was dawn or dusk. End of July is typically our busy time so they are right on schedule.
Interesting that I have 4 pots of flowers on my deck but have only seen a few birds hit the flowers. I've got all their faves: agastache, hummingbird mint, coral bells.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:59 PM

8,921 posts, read 2,366,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
Thank you, that was lovely. Great idea too.

This is so cool. What is that made out of? Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or