Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 06:17 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,268,026 times

Advertisements

So, my daughters and I planted about 15 or 20 lilies into several pots 2 years ago. The all came out and they looked amazing! last year, they again came out.
This year though, they didn't. After realizing they're not coming out any more (waited a few weeks and no buds), i decided to plant other things in there. To my dismay, the bulbs were very soft and gooey......like snot even! Why did the bulbs turn soft and never come out? disease? fungus? Did some animal mess with them?

(ps. i didn't dig up the bulbs in the fall. i guess that's what i should have done....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 06:22 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,070,072 times
Was this winter more extreme than last year? If so, my guess would be, the pots froze to the point of damaging the bulbs.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:24 AM

44,879 posts, read 59,858,372 times
They might have frozen. Or possibly got waterlogged.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:31 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,906,202 times
You don't say where you live in your profile so do you live in a cold/freeze area? If so, did you get a lot of snow this year as opposed to last or did you toss snow on that area? It could have just been too cold for them. My experience, as North Beach Person suggests has been it is more the water retention that sogs them out. We tossed the snow on top of on area and the soil retains more water than the section next to it. Both had snow on them but this section we lost the bulbs.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Was this winter more extreme than last year? If so, my guess would be, the pots froze to the point of damaging the bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They might have frozen. Or possibly got waterlogged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
You don't say where you live in your profile so do you live in a cold/freeze area? If so, did you get a lot of snow this year as opposed to last or did you toss snow on that area? It could have just been too cold for them. My experience, as North Beach Person suggests has been it is more the water retention that sogs them out. We tossed the snow on top of on area and the soil retains more water than the section next to it. Both had snow on them but this section we lost the bulbs.

I'm in northern VA. No, didn't have a whole lot of snow this year....
Also, these are in pots. i have other lilies that are in ground nearby and they did perfectly fine....came back with no issues like they always do....

Old 05-21-2018, 07:06 AM

44,879 posts, read 59,858,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Also, these are in pots. i have other lilies that are in ground nearby and they did perfectly fine....came back with no issues like they always do....
In that case they probably froze. Remember we had some colder than normal extended periods this past winter. Pots, if they're not buried, have the cold air circulating all around them and will freeze quicker, and harder, than the ground.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In that case they probably froze. Remember we had some colder than normal extended periods this past winter. Pots, if they're not buried, have the cold air circulating all around them and will freeze quicker, and harder, than the ground.
Gotcha.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll dig them out next time if i ever plant bulbs in pots.

I love this forum

Old 05-21-2018, 09:05 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,692,069 times
My hyacinth bulbs did too...

Old 05-21-2018, 10:45 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,930,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post

I live in St. Louis area. We had a long extended winter. I feel like we had winter until April. BUT we had a couple of weeks, here and there, of warmer weather too.

I'm going to guess that the warmer weeks "woke up" the bulbs, and then the subsequent freezing killed off the emerging growth.

My garden has been kind of hit and miss this spring. I'm blaming it on the long winter. For example, my lavender didn't come back this year. Dead as a doornail.

My hydrangeas are not doing great either, and out of all my irises, (Like 60?) only 2 bloomed. But maybe my irises didn't bloom because they didn't get enough sun.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:57 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,184,669 times
I suspect it was a freeze. I lost some of my elephant ears (not all of them) and when I poked around wondering what the heck had happened, I found gooey messes too. But some of them apparently survived.

My tulips didn't do jack this year - probably frozen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden